Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After loading another 6 vials into the freezer today, I was skimming this blokes ebay store and saw this and though of this thread. Just in case your freezer ain't cold enough!

Yob said:
Sure, why not, just make sure to rinse it well
Rinsed Coopers bottle yeast taken from the FV after my pale was bottled.

Rinsed enough?

1475568938931.jpg

That looks great. Now let it compact in the fridge to get better density. A smaller container will be easier to store.

peteru said:
That looks great. Now let it compact in the fridge to get better density. A smaller container will be easier to store.
I'm going to step this up to pitch into my next brew, but save an aliquot to freeze

Ok. So the mason jar of yeast got a nice compact layer on the bottom. I poured off the liquid, then resuspended the yeast with cooled boiled water.

I used a glass sample syringe to draw up of the slurry and saved some in a vile. It looks like 15mL of uncompacted yeast.

I pitched the rest into a starter on the stir plate. Yes, there is a nice vortex under that krausen. It kicked off quickly.

Thinking I'll do a sneaky brewday tomorrow to pitch active yeast.

I'll do the glycerine shortly and freeze.

Next question will be, what size starter should I pitch 15mL into after thaw?

1475745042948.jpg

1475745052398.jpg

Yob said:
500ml > 2000ml depending on age
1.020 for 500ml then step up to 2L @ 1.040?

Sorry about all the newbee questions. Another aspect of homebrew to get my head around. But rewarding.

Using *almost* sterile heating and *kitchen* aseptic techniques I prepared some vials of 50% glycerine.

I'm going to try to freeze some dry yeasts saved after fermentation as guinea pigs.

And I'll have a preserving jar of glycerine mix saved for later.

1476334281492.jpg

Yob said:
Why only half full?
Had yeast in fridge prior. It compacted so I poured off old water and put glycerine right on top.

Would have been been 40+ mL if yeast were collected straight from washing.

I've been looking for a box to store the 50ml vials in for a while. Just found the 3L 'Really useful Box'es at Masters are the perfect height both for the vials and my freezer drawers. Hold appx 23 vials with 3 sitting up a little. $10 with 30% off = $7per box.

Yob when do you expect the yeast boxes to go into production? Might be worth holding out Lael they are very convenient...

48 hours in 250ml @ 1.040 (I already had it made up but normally do 1.020) then this after <24 hours in 1.8L @ 1.040.

IMG_20161119_144313.jpg

Washed yeast that's been frozen for 6 months.

lael said:
I've been looking for a box to store the 50ml vials in for a while. Just found the 3L 'Really useful Box'es at Masters are the perfect height both for the vials and my freezer drawers. Hold appx 23 vials with 3 sitting up a little. $10 with 30% off = $7per box.
Linky?

Moad said:
Yob when do you expect the yeast boxes to go into production? Might be worth holding out Lael they are very convenient...
At $7 I'd get some of those too if they're any good,

Production? Havnt settled on a bloody material yet, there are a few options... Don't get me started

No link. Masters are in a fire sale. There weren't any left up here when I last went in. They are the small size of the 'really useful box'. I got two and wish I got more.

Back