Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moad bought some recently, as I bought some off him... So maybe he can let you know where he get some from

Take 2 at my effort to reculture some coopers yeast and reculture in order to freeze some.

I am methodically collecting yeast.

I have 500ml of 1.048 wort left over from previous brew. Will dilute with cooled boiled water to 1.020 to pitch a 6 pack worth of yeast.

I'm away on a work junket to Falls Creek on the weekend so reculture next week for brew day in 8 days time.

And hopefully 2 vials to freeze.

1472731308314.jpg

If you switch to drinking red Coopers, not only will you get more flavour, but you'll also get more yeast per bottle. :icon_cheers:

Yob said:

Version 2 point something..

5 x 5 to suit 50ml vials, stack-able pinlock on top so air can get under the one on top..

I can just fit in the 3D printer at work.. if I can get away with it..
Is there a sistema cliplock plastic box that fits the 50ml vials yob? I'm interested in making an insert to keep them all upright...

I powered up a 3yr old 1728 yesterday 500ml (1.020) 3000ml (1.040) and is going gang busters at less than 48hrs..

3 ******* YEARS!!

Anybody got the ability to lab test some of this output? very interested to test..

Yob said:
I powered up a 3yr old 1728 yesterday 500ml (1.020) 3000ml (1.040) and is going gang busters at less than 48hrs..

3 ******* YEARS!!

Anybody got the ability to lab test some of this output? very interested to test..
you'll be bringing Walt Disney back to life soon enough

Martin got me some fresh 001 and 051out to me arrived today all goes well I'll be splitting and spinning by lunch tommoz.
Thanks to all for the great info.
out here I'm lucky to find US05 in the closest brew shop!

Yob once they get to 4 you really should buy birthday present for them.

Yob said:

3 ******* YEARS!!

3 ******* YEARS, you know you want to throw it at a RIS.

I've got some Wy1318 coming up to 3 years in January. RIS bound.

anyone frozen a dried yeast strain?
Currently doing a lager with w34/70 and was thinking I could get some of the yeast cake and putting it in the 'bank'

If so, any tips as Ive only done it from a fresh pack or a starter currently

Was going to do the same with 34/70 by letting it settle out from the yeast cake slurry first. This has been hibernating in my fridge for 4 weeks now. I might pour off the beer and freeze some to see how it goes. Colour is from a Speights golden ale clone for a kiwi mate. So hasn't gone dark due to age. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1473247345.142352.jpg

SBOB said:
is there a dummies step by step on doing that?
If you have a 2l/3l flask, put in 150-200ml slurry, top up with Sanitised water and shake/swirl vigorously, wait 20mins and pour off the top 3/4 into another flask/container.

Rinsed

Idea being all the trub and dead yeast will largely settle out in that 20mins. Most folks make the mistake of putting in too much slurry and making it too thick to settle easily.

Latest posts

Back