left cap screwed on fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys,

bit of a dunce mistake i've done and just wanted to some feedback.

two days ago i began fermenting a pale ale, and in my bunnings FV with the large screw caps i accidentally left it screwed tight (after i'd shaken it to aerate/mix in my yeast).

i only just opened my fridge and the thing had bubbled out a lot but was luckily still airtight. i opened the lid and just burped all the gas out.

is it ok? RDWHAHB? i'm guessing it's fine (hell i know it's fermenting) but could this have affected the beer in any way?

CONNOR BREWARE said:
looks good. don't know how much i'd trust the bunnings fermenters to last under that much pressure for an entire ferment, but i'm sure it could take a fair bit given how much it had expanded in my fridge. dead set looked like a balloon. i suppose it could be burped but i value my ability to be able to brew; if the exploding fermenter didn't kill me, SWMBO would if 20L of fermenting beer burst out into the house!

just read this too. interesting idea: http://www.terifahrendorf.com/Closed-Pressurized-Fermenatation.pdf

Sounds like you're lucky not to have beer all over your fridge.

I did this to one of my latest cubes, it fermented out fine. but after i'd kegged and cleaned up the cube i noticed it had split the seam along thread in where the tap goes. I decided it wouldn't be trust worthy anymore (especially for no chill) and had to turf it.

RIS pitched.jpg

let clingwrap be your friend

Clint Lee said:
couldnt you drill a hole in the top and fit an airlock???
Don't do this. Airlocks are pointless. Cover it with gladwrap and a rubber band, or just back the lid off a couple of turns. Any pressure built up inside will push it's way out, and the lid will still stay on.

I actually use the "tighten then ease it off a crack" method for my ciders that have their own dedicated 20L FV I got from Boating Camping Fishing.

The steady flow of CO2 through the very small passages in a not quite closed lid stops anything nasty going back the opposite way from the atmosphere to the brew.
Louis Pasteur had special glass vessels made that he put sterile broth in then a glassblower extended the neck to a very narrow point that was open to the atmosphere.

louis pasteur.jpg

Some of these containers still exist and remain uninfected after over a century. :blink:

The "ease off a crack" (no double entendres please) Should work with beers. However gladwrap gives you a clear window onto the top of the brew to see what's happening.

How does the co2 escape through the glad wrap?
sorry if its a dumb question ive only ever used 1 fv with the standard air lock

Molecules are incredibly unimaginably tiny. They find their way out :)

Just make sure you strap that gladwrap down - I lost a brew finding the pressure blew it off earlier that week and the fruit flies were all having a party in my wide open fermenter :(

dent said:
Just make sure you strap that gladwrap down - I lost a brew finding the pressure blew it off earlier that week and the fruit flies were all having a party in my wide open fermenter :(
Ouch, that's pretty much the reason I stick with lid and airlock, the bugs are fierce around here so I feel more secure with the solid lid.

eungaibitter1 said:
Glad wrap with a couple of pinholes seems to work pretty well
Don't really need the pinholes, it's just a way for midges or other nasties to get in
The CO2 will find it's way out

Check. A tip I got off an old timer a while back. Before that I was peering endlessly at the airlock.

Latest posts

Back