left cap screwed on fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
I actually use the "tighten then ease it off a crack" method for my ciders that have their own dedicated 20L FV I got from Boating Camping Fishing.

The steady flow of CO2 through the very small passages in a not quite closed lid stops anything nasty going back the opposite way from the atmosphere to the brew.
Louis Pasteur had special glass vessels made that he put sterile broth in then a glassblower extended the neck to a very narrow point that was open to the atmosphere.

attachicon.gif
louis pasteur.jpg

Some of these containers still exist and remain uninfected after over a century. :blink:

The "ease off a crack" (no double entendres please) Should work with beers. However gladwrap gives you a clear window onto the top of the brew to see what's happening.
this is the method I normally use mate, the ease off a crack method. it was just me being forgetful and not easing it off after i'd shaken it up >.<

I've done gladwrap a bunch of times too, just didn't have any handy to do it this time.

i'm lucky, that's for sure.

Back