Does racking beer cause problems?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanboy

Reaction score
I have just started using a fridge to control my fermenting temps, I believe I can still rack from my 1st fermenter into my 2nd fermenter to dry hop for a further week after primary fermentation? I bottle my beers so I usually just take off the pressure attachment at the bottom of the wand and open the tap valve and let the 1st fv (sitting on a table) drain into the 2nd fv (sitting on the ground). Does the aeration from this cause any ill affects to my beer? Its my first temp controlled ferment and its taking ages, After about 2 weeks I still have to rack it and dry hop for another week that's almost 3 weeks! I think i'm going to dehydrate waiting this long :angry: Do I even need to rack it using temperature control?

That's not a good reason to rack, don't bother.

Rack to bulk prime? Sure

Rack if the Trub looks to be going to block the Tap? Sure

Rack onto fruit? Sure

Rack if you need the FV? Sure.

Rack for a good reason, not just coz... If you can, always rack while there are a few gravity points left to drop

"temperature controlled or not" is irrelevant to "to rack to secondary or not".
Your method of transfer is a huge concern. Aeration of the beer after primary fermentation will cause oxidation making the beer smell and taste of a pile of wet cardboard.

Deanboy said:
I bottle my beers so I usually just take off the pressure attachment at the bottom of the wand and open the tap valve and let the 1st fv (sitting on a table) drain into the 2nd fv (sitting on the ground). Does the aeration from this cause any ill affects to my beer?
If you are going to rack to a secondary then you need to avoid aeration otherwise you will oxidise your beer and it will taste terrible. The method you describe will ruin your beer. You need a hose that will reach the bottom of the second fermenter and then rack gently to avoid aeration. I also like to flush the secondary with CO2, but that is probably not something you have as you are bottling. The question is do you need to rack to secondary?? Probably not.

If you're going to dry hop, just do it in primary and save oxidizing your fermented beer. You will not notice a damn difference leaving the beer in primary for an additional week before kegging/bottling.

I would only rack to secondary for the same reasons as Yob above, plus if I'm doing a lager and don't want to lager for extended periods on the yeast/trub.

cheers guys, I believed racking helped clear up the beer and gave it time to develop more flavor by reading these posts it sounds like I've been wasting my time. I was adding 80grms of sugar to 300ml of warm water then tipping this into the 2nd fv to combat infection, I guess i'll just dry hop into the 1st fv after a week = more beer quicker. Keen to remove the home brew taste as much as possible.

Dunno, I've never racked, but yes, aeration much more than 24 gours after pitching is trouble..

Adding sugar to combat infection? Where does that idea come from?

If you want to complete fermention a.s.a.p., avoid declines in temperature in primary unti the krausen drops, preferably after that, especially with high-floc yeasts. But why hurry?

Deanboy said:
cheers guys, I believed racking helped clear up the beer and gave it time to develop more flavor by reading these posts it sounds like I've been wasting my time. I was adding 80grms of sugar to 300ml of warm water then tipping this into the 2nd fv to combat infection, I guess i'll just dry hop into the 1st fv after a week = more beer quicker. Keen to remove the home brew taste as much as possible.
Racking can help clear your beer, but so does time in the primary (and the definitive package). Time in the definitive package (unless lagering) is one of the biggest contributors to clarity.

Racking has it's place, but like the ever wise Yob has suggested, do it for a reason and not just cause you read it somewhere. It used to be the thing to do, however conventions change.

No need to rack for dry hopping, just dry hop in the primary when you've got about 4 points of gravity to go before terminal.

The only time I ever rack a beer is for bulk priming.

JD

Yankinoz I believe it causes gas as in primary fermentation to create a pressure to the airlock seal so nothing can accidentally make its way in. I'm used to fermenting in 2 weeks drinking it in 4, as mentioned I am on my first ferment under temp control.

The water/ solution in the airlock does the job of stopping infection getting in, adding sugar will only result in extended fermentation from yeast in suspension when transferred to the secondary f v. As well as slightly upping the alc/ vol of the finished beer.
The alcohol content in the brew will help to keep it from contamination from transfer to the secondary but only and only if the secondary f v is clean etc.
just remember,the more times the brew is moved from vessel to vessel through tubes and hoses etc the Higher the risk of contamination.
A spoilt brew = a grumpy brewer.

Deanboy said:
After about 2 weeks I still have to rack it and dry hop for another week that's almost 3 weeks!
No issues from my limited experience. Just dry hop it into the fermenter then cold crash it to clear it up before bottling.

Hope I can slightly hijack this thread. I have a similar issue. Recipe (extract) calls to rack to secondary at 7 days and then dry hop at day 14 for 7 days. Now I'm using us05 which I've found produces a large cake at the bottom so I was considering racking to try minimise this going into my keg. I was then going to keg at day 14 and just dry hop in the keg.

Any huge issues with this idea? Was thinking after 7 days dry hop I'd just purge, remove hop bag and then charge her up.

Give it a go. I used to rack to secondary for various reasons. Don't do it much any more but never had an issue. I just find it easier (among other reasons) to leave it on the yeast which can also help trap hop trub. Cold crashing is the real winner for leaving crap behind.

Racking beer doesn't cause problems. Poor practice causes problems.

Back