Leek

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
i got a few specimens that should really be thrown in the bin. they have flowered and produced seed. they are on the verge of totally drying up and dying. also got some capsicum on the way.

i got a few specimens that should really be thrown in the bin. they have flowered and produced seed. they are on the verge of totally drying up and dying. also got some capsicum on the way.

Goes great in soups, such as potato and leek. Or we used to make chicken and leek pie, is delicious. Can probably substitute for onion in a lot of recipes if you want to experiment, similar kind of aroma and texture, but not as strong.

How about a leek lobster terrine a la Marco Pierre White?

Leek and Minced Pork.

I make it for my wife as her mother used to do it for her, but is pretty bland British Food so I spice it up by using Greek Yogurt instead of Creme Fresh and then bring the salt balance up and crack a bit of black pepper in to get a few hints of bite. It originally was served on cooked pasta but I prefer it on steamed rice.

Being a British dish its pretty much out of tins type food so it really only consists of pan fried minced pork and leeks and then mayonnaise and greek yogurt stirred in after cooking (heat now off) in a ratio you like and then seasoned and served.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Edit: Note to self, wean wife off it, especially when she picks up tiny leeks at the supermarket at $4 each! Obscene!

are you wanting to ferment them?

[quote name='sinkas date='Feb 7 2010, 01:49 PM' post='593763']are you wanting to ferment them?[/quote]

yes. i wish to make an alcoholic leek beverage. i do not intend to use them for cooking.

I was joking, but you are not?
you are a sad *******, hell why not ferment the lawn clippings too

Do yourself and the leeks a flavour and throw them out!

Man, that makes Mosher look mild.
Compostenbrau :)

Sow the seeds and brew something you might actually want to drink. To be honest, I think there could be a place for onion in a well made, nourishing, malty, savoury beer, like onion jam, but it would be a hard sell.

Back