Leaving Starsan In Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigears

Reaction score
I used my spray bottle of StarSan to sanitise several bottles last week. I didn't get a chance to bottle at the time so I put them in the fridge (with a little StarSan left in each one). They're swingtops so they are sealed. Should I be good to go with these when I bottle tomorrow?

Assuming your bottles were clean and fairly dry in the first place - then the starsan thats in them will still be good. Shake em up and the starsan will re-sanitise anything that might not have already been dead.

Pour the dregs back into your sanitiser spray bottle, its still good, why waste it.

Oh - and don't fear the foam. Starsan foam sanitises just as well as the liquid does and even if the bottle is still half full of foam - you are OK to fill it with beer right on top of the foam. As a bonus, as it floats up on the top of your beer... it re-sanitises the sides of the bottle as it goes.

Doesn't hurt the beer, doesn't effect the flavour, isn't bad for you

They are fine

Thirsty

Assuming your bottles were clean and fairly dry in the first place - then the starsan thats in them will still be good. Shake em up and the starsan will re-sanitise anything that might not have already been dead.

Pour the dregs back into your sanitiser spray bottle, its still good, why waste it.

Oh - and don't fear the foam. Starsan foam sanitises just as well as the liquid does and even if the bottle is still half full of foam - you are OK to fill it with beer right on top of the foam. As a bonus, as it floats up on the top of your beer... it re-sanitises the sides of the bottle as it goes.

Doesn't hurt the beer, doesn't effect the flavour, isn't bad for you

They are fine

Thirsty

+1

When I fill my bottles the residual Starsan gently foams up to the top. Haven't detected any flavour impact. Starsan rocks. :D

+1

When I fill my bottles the residual Starsan gently foams up to the top. Haven't detected any flavour impact. Starsan rocks. :D
Cheers guys, that's what I thought - if it's still good in the spray bottle it must still be good in the beer bottle! This means I can sanitise bottles as I go along after I drink them and clean them :)

i just bought starsan recently.

how long can it be left in a spray bottle for diluted with normal tap water?

+1

+2

great stuff, fill my bottles with sodium percarbonate, leave a few days, drain, rinse with starsan then fill. froth from the starsan just floats out the top of the bottles anyway, and is of no harm to you or your beer.

i just bought starsan recently.

how long can it be left in a spray bottle for diluted with normal tap water?
It depends on the pH of the solution. Anything below 3 is good to use. If you live in a soft water area the solution will last longer. My water is soft and the solution lasts for a couple of months at least.

I get through/replace my spray bottle fairly often, so I just use melbourne tap water. Its lasted a month or so no worries. If you really want to, maybe make up a spray bottle especially out of distilled water and it should last for months and months.

Latest posts

Back