Leaving hydrometer in the FV

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackAdder

Reaction score
As the thread title suggests, for my latest brew (put yeast in last night) I have left the hydrometer in the FV with the thought that I'm lazy and wont have to sanitise it to check SG (e.g. nice easy check of SG when I dry hop) and I dont think it will do any harm

Looking for opinions on whether this is a good idea - obviously one draw back is if I need it for something else - but is there anything else to worry about?

Krausen that dries on it might obscure your visibility....

TheBlackAdder said:
...I have left the hydrometer in the FV with the thought that I'm lazy and wont have to sanitise it to check SG (e.g. nice easy check of SG when I dry hop)...
Are you saying you usually sanitize your hydrometer & drop it into your fermenter? That sounds like a very unnecessary infection risk to me. Draw off a sample and test that. If you don't want to loose beer volume to hydrometer samples, buy a refractometer.

Prince Imperial said:
Are you saying you usually sanitize your hydrometer & drop it into your fermenter? That sounds like a very unnecessary infection risk to me. Draw off a sample and test that. If you don't want to loose beer volume to hydrometer samples, buy a refractometer.
Only if I need to open the FV anyway for dry hopping or late additions. Is infection risk going to be a problem then?
The idea at the time was that I could avoid moving the FV back to the kitchen to get it up on a bench to do samples which sloshes the trub up a bit - more worried about that than 50ml of beer ;)

I didnt think about the krausen though, so might be that its all a waste of time

As mentioned, yeast etc attaching to the hydrometer would increase its weight causing it to float lower in the beer. Additionally, CO2 bubbles will likely attach themselves to the hydrometer causing it to float higher. Too many unknown variables going on here to achieve a reading that you can rely on. As suggested, draw off a sample, stand for time to allow it to degas, twirl the hydrometer to dislodge remaining attached gas bubbles, and take a reading. Then drink. Cheers.

TheBlackAdder said:
Only if I need to open the FV anyway for dry hopping or late additions. Is infection risk going to be a problem then?
Possibly. That's why it's wise to minimise additional exposures. Is it possible to elevate your FV on milk crates or similar so you can draw a sample without disturbing things?

TheBlackAdder said:
The idea at the time was that I could avoid moving the FV back to the kitchen to get it up on a bench to do samples which sloshes the trub up a bit - more worried about that than 50ml of beer ;)

I didnt think about the krausen though, so might be that its all a waste of time
Just run some silicon tube from the fermentor tap into your hydro sample tube from where you are fermenting. No need to shift the fermentor.

Sounds to me like a decidedly odd spice to add to your beer.

On the plus side, the yeast-encrusted hydrometer could be used as a brew-starting stick to stir future brews and add yeasty goodness.

I've done this in glass demijohn s with non beer ferments... Hard lemonade, mead etc. no Krausen, long ferment, hard to take a sample makes this a good idea. Not a great idea for beer for all the reasons mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back