Least Favourite Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtmc

Reaction score
Hey all,

Keen to see what everybody here considers their least favourite hop;
Whether you've brewed with it, or simply tasted it in a commercial example.

I'll start: Pride of Ringwood :p

Ride of ringwood also. Mainly due to the link with the cats piss they serve at most pubs. Also Belma, beer tasted like strawberry jam, gross.

fresh pride of ringwood is amazing. don't judge the hop on megaswill. use it in your own beer and judge it.

fuggles however. tastes like dirt.

Galaxy and nelson. I don't blame the cat piss on pride of ringworm. Drinking an hb beer with it now. Quite tasty.

manticle said:
I don't blame the cat piss on pride of ringworm. Drinking an hb beer with it now. Quite tasty.
Did you use it as a strictly bittering addition? I'll be honest, I've haven't brewed with it.
Most macro's these days probably use it for isohop which no doubt makes it even lamer.

I recall a brewery doing an all PoR APA/IPA? Anybody try that?

Dont blame POR on megaswill.....that is an isohop in mega swill that no one at home can reproduce.

A hop that has let me down big time is Artahmon (sp) I think it is neither fruity or full on dirt flavour ( like Fuggle)
I will never use it again. :(

wereprawn said:
Nelson sauvin buy a mile.
Tricky hop to utilize. I've made a nice beer with it incorporated in an APA with some other hops.
I've also made a terrible beer with it as a smash if I recall.
I guess it's a Love/Hate hop, but if you are careful with it you can probably convert the haters.

rtbmc- Usually beers I make with it are not hoppy types so it's earlier in the boil but I've always argued you get flavour from bittering additions.
As far as I'm aware, isohop is purely alpha acids in solution and doesn't relate to any particular strain. CUB definitely use por in at least some of their beers (pellets) or at least they did a few years ago. There are other hop extracts besides iso, some of which are resistant to skunking.

manticle said:
Galaxy and nelson. I don't blame the cat piss on pride of ringworm. Drinking an hb beer with it now. Quite tasty.
Should I say, megaswill has ruined PoR so much that I will not use it. It is the general use of PoR in megaswill and the fact I dont want any connection with that piss at all!

dicko said:
Dont blame POR on megaswill.....that is an isohop in mega swill that no one at home can reproduce.
Fair call. But have you made an exceptional beer with it?

dicko said:
A hop that has let me down big time is Artahmon (sp) I think it is neither fruity or full on dirt flavour ( like Fuggle)
I will never use it again. :(
Ahtanum. I've had sucess (having said that it was a fruit salad mix of hops in the sole brew I used it in)
Could have been stale? I've had some bad batches of Amarillo:-
(Used different bags in separate DS'GA clones and one batch was more floral than yo mother's perfume and the other was blander than a choice cigarette at an Amsterdam coffee shop).

I guess my least favourite at the moment is Fuggles, but I just used it in a batch on the weekend, so hopefully that will come out ok and help to change my opinion.

Love PoR as a first wort addition in combo with late Hallertau Mitt in my lagers. I wonder if some of the haters go with the popular opinion without giving it a proper go.

I've used NelsonSauv and the recipients who I served it up to, disliked it so much that they couldn't finish it. I like it and others who've tried it like it also, but it's far from a favourite.

for me its the following:

Perle
Nelson Sav
Chinook

manticle said:
I've always argued you get flavour from bittering additions.
I've made a few single-hop/single-addition (60min) no-chills lately and that is, without a doubt, a fact.

Latest posts

Back