Least Favourite Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Yeah I used hop x in my imperial chilli banana daiquiri India pale stout smoked lager and it tasted shit, I'll never use it again, blech. It would've been an awesome beer but hop x just ruined it"

:)

You forgot to mention you used a lager yeast fermented at 41.5*c.

And you didnt use a kitten....

For everybody who dislikes Nelson Sauvin if you ever get a chance try Nelson by Alpine brewing, it is truly an amazing beer and one of the best IPA's in the world. I was a hater before I tried this beer and I'm guessing that half the problem is that people don't use it correctly. Below is a link to a video of them making it, the amount of Nelson and Southern Cross they use are insane, watch the dry hop at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fPaRrTn7yE

nelson is great, but i can understand how it would/can put people off because of how unique the taste is. less is more for me when using it. made a killer IPA with that and cascade once.

ricardo said:
For everybody who dislikes Nelson Sauvin if you ever get a chance try Nelson by Alpine brewing, it is truly an amazing beer and one of the best IPA's in the world. I was a hater before I tried this beer and I'm guessing that half the problem is that people don't use it correctly. Below is a link to a video of them making it, the amount of Nelson and Southern Cross they use are insane, watch the dry hop at the end

Great vid. Good to see one that shows what's going on and how they do it right back to basic's like we do in our backyard sheds. Nothing fancy there, just bigger gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just realised I'm not using enough Whirlfloc. Nice vid ricardo.

One and only time using nelson S. the beer turned out more like a breakfast juice very very strong grape fruit flavour, had to dump the lot.

funnily enough I'm going to attempt a clone of the Alpine beer this weekend with about 200g of Nelson and 150 g of Southern Cross in a 25 litre batch, first time I've used either hop so fingers crossed.

For anybody who watched the video, any ideas on the first top secret hop addition? I don't know why but I'm thinking it might be NZ Cascade

My latest way of brewing the bigger beers is if your not quiet sure of a recipe do a half batch especially for the big IPAs that call for a lot of hops.

thebigwilk said:
One and only time using nelson S. the beer turned out more like a breakfast juice very very strong grape fruit flavour, had to dump the lot.

Must be a shit hop if you used it once and had to dump the lot.

Nelson is excellent, if you know how to use it. I quite by accident used it right first time and it worked well. And it's reasonable as a bittering addition, and cheap given the high AA%. If you don't use it right, it can really really be bad from anecdote. I've had beers that were better with it and some better without it, so I believe the anecdotal evidence as well. It plays very very well with Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and (in limited amounts) Galaxy and Citra.

Fave is always Citra.

But on topic - least liked?

Probably Fuggles - why use it when Willamette is so much better - you get the good earthiness without the meh factor. Not often I prefer US things to UK things, but this has got to be it.

And Belma (turned a decent APA into 2 day old fruit salad in a plastic container left in the sun), wai-iti/kohatu (nothing hops with neither much flavour nor any aroma and too low in AA% to be useful for bittering).

mje1980 said:
Must be a shit hop if you used it once and had to dump the lot.
To be fair, title of the thread is 'least favourite' rather than 'shittest'. Imagine you use the hop in the best way possible and still don't personally enjoy the result. That's how I see the thread's intention. Not enjoying something doesn't make it bad.

I have to agree on Nelson. I think used properly it's a great hop. For the nelson haters, try the Regal Pale Ale recipe from Big Brew Day. It's fantastic, and well balanced.

Personally, I don't HATE the noble hops, I just prefer something with a bit more flavour. They definitely have their place though. I did a saaz BoPils that was a reasonable drop, a little too hop forward as there was one late addition that may have been a bit overboard but otherwise it wasn't too bad at all. That was done with Urquell lager yeast, worked well. Chinook, I just haven't used a lot of. POR, I think my issue was using it when it was old. My local club president has a fair few he grows and IIRC he has POR growing as well as Vic Secret so I might have to sort out a rhizome and try them all fresh as a daisy.

manticle said:
To be fair, title of the thread is 'least favourite' rather than 'shittest'. Imagine you use the hop in the best way possible and still don't personally enjoy the result. That's how I see the thread's intention. Not enjoying something doesn't make it bad.
Damn, the lack of a sarcasm emoticon does me in again :).

I was just having a bit of a dig.

mje1980 said:
Damn, the lack of a sarcasm emoticon does me in again :).

I was just having a bit of a dig.
You've been hanging around Sean too long :lol:

Back