Leak In Fermenter Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfad

Reaction score
hi all,
hoping someone can help me.

I put down a kit version of DSGA on the weekend and it turns out there is a very slow leak in the fermenter tap, which must be caused by my not quite putting it back together properly after cleaning it.

I've turned the tap upside down so it is not much of an issue, but my worry is that if wort is getting out, can bugs get in and infect the brew? If so, what can I do to stop it?

Cheers

Fad

Go to the big green shed, get your self a new fermenter and tap for under $20, grab a second tap while you are there to replace the bung one on that older fermenter. Rack the beer into the new fermenter and leave it to ferment. Replace tap on old fermenter. It will cost you about $20 but you will then have a spare fermenter.

QldKev

The time my tap did this I did get an infection as vinegar flies were attracted to the leaking wort. I picked up a tube of paraliq and a tiny smear has prevented the problem from occuring again. paraliq

Thanks for the fast reply fellas. I've got a spare cube but wasn't sure if I could rack it so early (3 days in).

Just remember it is still going to keep fermenting, so ensure your cube has a way to breath (airlock, gladwrap, etc)

QldKev

I've had success using a cut off bit of a bottling wand jammed into the tap, then a bit of 8mm gas / beer line jammed into that with a john guest straight adapter and plug. This stopped anything more of my precious escaping

When it came to bottling I removed the the JG adapter and pushed the remainder of the bottling wand onto the short stub of 8mm hose and turned the tap. With this (if you are bottling) when you get to the last few bottles tip the FV forward and you can easily bend the bottling wand towards you so it is vertical and not angled away so you have to try and get the bottle 2 metres in front of you

hope that wasn't too confusing

For an easy, practically free short term fix attach bottling wand or tubing to tap, and immerse the other end of it in cooled boiled water, or better still some starsan or similar solution. hat will stop the vinegar flies, unless they can scuba dive.

Easy.....
Just bung a small cork in the tap ( sprayed with a bit of idofor etc.)
You can also whittle down a wine cork to do the job if a small cork can't be sourced.... (done this).
I no longer dismantle the plastic taps for cleaning, not worth it.
I do boil them after each use and if they aren't up to scratch they are replaced.
For $2-3 a tap it's not worth the bullshit of taps leaking, very stiff to turn etc.

I use snaptaps

Easy to dismantle, easy to clean

Slight off topic....but..
Snap taps:-
How do you attach tubing to a tapered spout when racking without it coming off? :(

Slight off topic....but..
Snap taps:-
How do you attach tubing to a tapered spout when racking without it coming off? :(

You know those little bottlers that you don't use when you start kegging?

cut a 2 cm piece off them with a knife. The piece will fit in the snaptap, and in your tubing

And then if you do use a bottler, you can put it in the other end of your vinyl tubing anyway

ps: be careful removing the little piece from the snaptap if its cold! when cold the plastic is very brittle

yep I use keg lube on my taps have never had a leak even the first taps I have are fine. Plus if you dont lube them then they are so hard to turn a bit of lube and they turn like the day you got them

I have posted this before.
I had the same problem and got a packet of little rubber chair leg stoppers.
They fit over the tap spout...problem solved.
They are a bit tight but I just soaked in boiling water for a bit them spray with sterilizer and slip it on.
Just like a franga.

:)

If I have a dud tap, I give it a good spray with no rinse sanitiser or metho, then wrap it in glad wrap and attach a rubber band to hold it on till ferment is complete.

Back