Ldme Replacing Dextrose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_quintal

Reaction score
Just wondering if you want to replace dextrose in an extract recipe with LDME, is it equal amounts? e.g to replace 500g of dextrose you add 500g of LDME instead.

as dextrose is 100% fermentable and ldme can differ depending on the maker you would need more ldme than dex to get the same abv, you would also increase the body of the beer which depending on style could be a good or bad thing

Just wondering if you want to replace dextrose in an extract recipe with LDME, is it equal amounts? e.g to replace 500g of dextrose you add 500g of LDME instead.

No.

From memory you would need around 25% more LDME as it is 75% fermentable.

As above, it will change the profile to a fuller bodied and sweeter one. This can be good depending as it may also lead to cloying and thick if overused.

You can balance a beer with some dex and some malt.

What they said...
I reckon extract brews need a ratio of around 2:1 Malt Extract:Dex or they end up with too high a finishing gravity.

*** NERD ALERT ****

Just to chirp in with some maths.

If we take LDM to be 75% fermentable. To get the same fermentables as 100gm of Dex (assuming Dex really is 100% fermentable) we need to add more than an extra 25gm (i.e. 25%)

100gm + 25% = 125gm

125gm x 75% = 93.75

So to get the same fermentables as 100gm of Dex we would need to use:

100gm / 75% = 133.33gm

133gms of LDM

I"m not saying you HAVE to be this precise with the measuring or if it will have any effect yadda yadda yadda. Just clearing up the maths

*** NERD ALERT ****

Just to chirp in with some maths.

If we take LDM to be 75% fermentable. To get the same fermentables as 100gm of Dex (assuming Dex really is 100% fermentable) we need to add more than an extra 25gm (i.e. 25%)

100gm + 25% = 125gm

125gm x 75% = 93.75

So to get the same fermentables as 100gm of Dex we would need to use:

100gm / 75% = 133.33gm

133gms of LDM

I"m not saying you HAVE to be this precise with the measuring or if it will have any effect yadda yadda yadda. Just clearing up the maths

fantastic. this is exactly what i was looking for. cheers mate

Wooooaaaa, there nelly.

Two massive assumptions are that LDME is 75% fermentable and Dex really is 100% fermentable.

afaik dextrose is 100% fermentable but ldme does vary greatly depending on who makes it.

It's certainly accepted wisdom that Dex is 100% fermentable. But it's almost certainly not the case. For not least of reasons that a bag of Dex wouldn't actually be 100% Dex.

Every kit and extract brewer should have ianh's spreadsheet. It's perfect for questions like this.

Couldn't agree more, I think it's excellent the work that he's done

It's better than beer smith?

TBH, I don't use Beersmith. No doubt BS has more features and is more versatile, but I couldn't justify choosing BS over the spreadsheet when the spreadsheet suits me fine. It doesn't have alot of "k&k" tins but that's fine with me. I mainly do LME with my own hop additions and it gives me a good guide to how specialty grains effects OG/FG, colour, IBU etc and how using different combos of malt/dextrose/maltodextrin effects my brew.

I am not saying it's better than BS or should be chosen over it, but I think every beginning brewer should have a look over and play around with recipes in it. :) It's free and perfect for the experimental K&K and extract brewer! ;)

TBH, I don't use Beersmith. No doubt BS has more features and is more versatile, but I couldn't justify choosing BS over the spreadsheet when the spreadsheet suits me fine. It doesn't have alot of "k&k" tins but that's fine with me. I mainly do LME with my own hop additions and it gives me a good guide to how specialty grains effects OG/FG, colour, IBU etc and how using different combos of malt/dextrose/maltodextrin effects my brew.

I am not saying it's better than BS or should be chosen over it, but I think every beginning brewer should have a look over and play around with recipes in it. :) It's free and perfect for the experimental K&K and extract brewer! ;)

Yeah, Nah I can dig it. B)

Latest posts

Back