Lcpa Imitation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skramp_84

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone suggest a LCPA imitation for me please. I have read the other posts but can't decide on what to use. My only requirement is that i dont have a 2nd fermenter to rack in or a fridge to ferment in. Im planning to brew this on in winter, so i can be maintaining a constant temp of around 18-20 degress. Thanks in advance.

i would go with Norwest Pale Ale (American Pale)

"This Pale Ale is all about big Cascade hopped flavour, well-balanced with a big zesty citrus hop aroma, full malt character with a big bitter finish. Try it with the DCL US-56 Dried yeast or White Labs WLP001"

I would say asbolutely use US56 or liquid equivalent to help make sure you get the hop character coming through.

You could also use any decent pale ale kit and additions of Cascade and Chinook hops (I think it has another one in there? Search for details about it and you will find info about the hops for sure...)

This is the LCPA clone i am drinking atm. Its close but i would never say its spot on cos dont want to bear the wraith of the AGers.... :D

1 tin Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5 kg of Coopers Pale Malt Extract (Liquid)
15g of Cascade pellets - 15min
10g Cluster pellets - 15 min
US56 Yeast.
12g of Chinook Pellets (dry hopped).

Its tasty, hoppy and i am finding it hard to type as i dream about the 2 bottles of it sitting in the fridge waiting for me to knock off work....

I rack so the chinook pellets spent a week swimming in secondary. I kept it at 22degC with the wet towel method (also sitting in a tray of water) cos i dont have a fridge for brewing either but i will in 4 weeks time!

Credit goes to Boonie from homebrewandbeer.com, its not my recipe but i think he would approve of me sharing it.

Cheers
DrSmurto

This is the LCPA clone i am drinking atm. Its close but i would never say its spot on cos dont want to bear the wraith of the AGers.... :D

US56 Yeast.

Its tasty, hoppy and i am finding it hard to type as i dream about the 2 bottles of it sitting in the fridge waiting for me to knock off work....

I rack so the chinook pellets spent a week swimming in secondary. I kept it at 22degC with the wet towel method (also sitting in a tray of water) cos i dont have a fridge for brewing either but i will in 4 weeks time!

Credit goes to Boonie from homebrewandbeer.com, its not my recipe but i think he would approve of me sharing it.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Thanks mate, sorry Im still new to this. You said you rack it, I dont have the ability to rack, so how would I adapt your method without racking? Thanks.

Just leave it in primary fermenter for 14 days,after day 7 when its reached FG, put your dry hops in a hop sock and toss em in fermenter.Not ideal but it will work ok

Just leave it in primary fermenter for 14 days,after day 7 when its reached FG, put your dry hops in a hop sock and toss em in fermenter.Not ideal but it will work ok

I'll take the recipe Dr, but I have a question for Braulver - can I just dump the hops into the wort? I have a hazy recollection of this somewhere in the annals AHB, but can't remember where. Does it matter if the hops is suspended or in the yeast cake?

InCider.

Putting em in a sock stops em from clogging up taps on transfer/bottling.
Would be ok if you siphoned off the top though.

I've wet hopped b4 with success.
Place hops in a coffee plunger and steep in boiling water for 5/10 mins and plunge then tip in liquid with out the hop debris.

I did a LCPA clone that didn't turn out too bad. Was a basic kit with some light malt, ~150grams of crystal malt and 20g of Chinook and 20g of Cascade thrown in late.
Can't remember who's kit I used, think it was an ESB, but just choose a nice pale ale kit.
I may even have used Liquid LME instead of the dry...really should take better notes I guess :huh:

Definitely used US-56 (aka US-05) yeast

Putting em in a sock stops em from clogging up taps on transfer/bottling.
Would be ok if you siphoned off the top though.

I've wet hopped b4 with success.
Place hops in a coffee plunger and steep in boiling water for 5/10 mins and plunge then tip in liquid with out the hop debris.

I am sure this is in the archives too :) .

I tried this and tasted the resultant "water". Did not taste like hops.

You will need to lower the pH to get the goodies without the grassiness.

cheers

Darren

I tried a LC clone recipe a few weeks ago. It was dead easy.

1 x Coopers Pale kit & kit yeast
1 x kg LDME
1 x Cascade hops bag, steeped 10 mins, then tossed into the fermenter - bag and all
1 x Cascade hops bag, dry hopped at 4 days.

It's not an identical clone, but it makes an alright beer that's relatively similar to the LCPA.

Probably the best PA I've made in my three long months of HBing.

Edit: I added 250g dextrose as well.

I'll take the recipe Dr, but I have a question for Braulver - can I just dump the hops into the wort? I have a hazy recollection of this somewhere in the annals AHB, but can't remember where. Does it matter if the hops is suspended or in the yeast cake?

InCider.

I put them in a section of pantyhose tied at bth ends. As Brauluver says, leave it for a week or 2, until grabity is stable and then drop in the hops and then bottle a week later. One of my fave things about LCPA is the aroma so if you do this the aroma will be in your face. Will prob be beyond your VB swilling mates bit if you, like me, make beer cos you like to drink beer then ^$$& em!

Juts moved my brewing stuff into storage and discovered i have a racking bucket! I could have had 3 fermenters going simultaneously instead of only 2 :blink: bugger......

Cheers
DrSmurto

US56 Yeast.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Thanks everyone. I think I will give this recipe above a crack. Is this any different to the Brewcraft LCPA recipe kit? http://www.ebrewcraft.com.au/afa.asp?idWeb...10726&ID=96

Just a question, why is it that the Chinook hops are kept out until FG is reached?

Thanks

I put them in a section of pantyhose tied at bth ends. As Brauluver says, leave it for a week or 2, until grabity is stable and then drop in the hops and then bottle a week later. One of my fave things about LCPA is the aroma so if you do this the aroma will be in your face. Will prob be beyond your VB swilling mates bit if you, like me, make beer cos you like to drink beer then ^$$& em!

Juts moved my brewing stuff into storage and discovered i have a racking bucket! I could have had 3 fermenters going simultaneously instead of only 2 :blink: bugger......

Cheers
DrSmurto

Thankyou Dr,

I love the aroma so will be leaving it suspended in the fermenter after the yeasties have done their fine work.

Time to fill my permenters!

Thanks

Sean.

InCider.

My recent experience has been
if you just chuck 'em in you'll find a layer of hops floating on the top and will
have to rack into a bottling bucket which you didn't want to do.
And even then, you'll probably end up with an odd hop leaf in the bottle. :blink:

-braufrau

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought dry-hopping at FG was a no-no. Should it not be done a day or two before FG to create a protective layer of carbon dioxide?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought dry-hopping at FG was a no-no. Should it not be done a day or two before FG to create a protective layer of carbon dioxide?

I mostly dry hop in secondary discoloop. The oils in the hops, not to mention the alcohol in the beer are enough to keep nasties out in my experience. I dry hop 90% of my brews (I brew for taste, rather than style ;) ) and never had an issue.

So because i can't rack, dry hopping at FG is ok to do and leave for 7 more days? That seems like a long time to let it go after FG.

not really as long as the temp is stable.

i usually leave an ale in primary for 12/14 days b4 transferring or bottling without any probs.have done for several years now.

Latest posts

Back