Lcpa Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
I went to LC in freo this weekend for a meal and comedy and I swear the Pale Ale tastes different. Are they using different seasonal hops or something?

The mouth feel was great for a pale ale and the malt flavours didn't linger so a nice crisp beer. Although the American style citrus punch wasn't really there. Maybe I acclimatised myself after to hoppy beers. It wasn't that fruity Amarillo, Cascade punch in the nose I'm used to. Even the bitter after taste was a bit different. I'd like to articulate how it was different but I'd be struggling and look like a knob in the process.

Has anyone else been down there recently and thought the Pale Ale had changed?

I went to LC in freo this weekend for a meal and comedy and I swear the Pale Ale tastes different. Are they using different seasonal hops or something?

The mouth feel was great for a pale ale and the malt flavours didn't linger so a nice crisp beer. Although the American style citrus punch wasn't really there. Maybe I acclimatised myself after to hoppy beers. It wasn't that fruity Amarillo, Cascade punch in the nose I'm used to. Even the bitter after taste was a bit different. I'd like to articulate how it was different but I'd be struggling and look like a knob in the process.

I think they are using a touch of Galaxy

I think they are using a touch of Galaxy
Yep they've started using late galaxay alon faith the "traditional" EKG bittering, cascade and chinook late. So now there is 4 hops in the mix. There's a photo of the latest ingredients board somewhere posted recently. On the iPhone so I'll have a search around.

Haven't had the lcpa in a while but I would imagine that galaxy would definately give more fruit salad than is normally present in the pale. The "traditional" lcpa gives me up front citrus from cascade and late piney flavours from the chinook.
Got a 100% galaxy on tap at the moment and get passionfruit/ tropical fruit... So maybe you get a bit of that??

I wondered about the reasoning as well when I took this photo in October 2009 while on holiday. I know the Chinook bittering can be a little rough but surely a cheaper bittering hop with a smooth character could be used. :eek:
Here's the photo from the brewery I was talking about... Cheers

edit: oops photo didn't show but follow the link and you'll see

link? pm me

Yeah just click on the little red icon in the quote and you'll get taken to the thread.... otherwise here's the pic from the brewery showing Galaxy

LCpale.JPG

Still nothing mate! Just copy and paste the link :p

Thanks for the photo...little red arrow in the quote - I would have never have worked that out.

As for the photo...late chinook seems a strange choice.

Sorry mate, but not bleedingly obvious, so bypassed my small, unevolved brain :p

To some extent, changes in flavour can be attributed to seasonal variation of hops. Galaxy has made a difference to their beers and I was always a big fan of the Chinook driven hop characters.

Slightly off topic, but I had a pint of LCPA at the Wesley Anne in Northcote last night. Easily the best I've ever had. Tremendous hop flavour, strong bitterness, but impeccable balance. Reminds me of when I first tried the beer.

Latest posts

Back