Last beer of keg has acetaldehyde?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
For my last couple brews I've noticed that the last beer has a pretty obvious acetaldehyde issue. No sign of it earlier, two times now, just the last pour.

The only explanation I can think of is the rapid oxidation of the keg blowing is causing some kind of rapid redox reaction?

A lot of weird sh!t gets caught up in the yeast - perhaps the last pour is dragging up that sediment into the glass, and bringing some heinous flavours with it?\

Are we talking about the last, gasping, frothy, yeasty beer - or the one(s) just before that which are pouring reasonably clear?

Kodos said:
A lot of weird sh!t gets caught up in the yeast - perhaps the last pour is dragging up that sediment into the glass, and bringing some heinous flavours with it?\

Are we talking about the last, gasping, frothy, yeasty beer - or the one(s) just before that which are pouring reasonably clear?
The very last gasping pour only.

Why would your keg suddenly have o2 in it when it blows? The keg is full of co2 under preasure.

Mr. No-Tip said:
The very last gasping pour only.
I reckon that would be all the gross old yeasty stuff you're getting then. You drink it out of respect for all the good beer that flowed before it, but you should probably just let it go and move on.

I reckon you'd get similar bad flavours if you bought a bottle conditioned beer like Coopers, poured a bright beer off the top, then drank the dregs on their own.

Latest posts

Back