Largering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Have always made ales, so no need to go to this stage. Have been reading up about largering, but always comes back to force carbed kegging. Just wondering if there will still be enough viable yeast cells to carb my beer. Have always bottled due to space/cash. Can I larger at -1c for a week or two and still bulk prime? havnt had acrack at this yet, but have a lager/rice mashing now.

According to the yeast book, below a certain yeast count the beer looks crystal clear to the human eye but can still contain more yeast cells per glass than the population of Sydney - might take a while to carb up in bottles, but the advantage will be a very thin yeast layer in the bottle.

Ive been researching this exact subject and everyone says it should work... I'm just not going that cold I think once I rack to secondary 1°c should do the trick..

Largering tools
1533147-shoestretcher-w-co-s.jpg
swissvet_spec_small.jpg
80707.jpg

mjp said:
Have always made ales, so no need to go to this stage. Have been reading up about largering, but always comes back to force carbed kegging. Just wondering if there will still be enough viable yeast cells to carb my beer. Have always bottled due to space/cash. Can I larger at -1c for a week or two and still bulk prime? havnt had acrack at this yet, but have a lager/rice mashing now.
i have lagered at -1 for six weeks or more and still had enough yeast for bottle conditioning no worries. it may take a little longer to happen than other wise but is well worth having a cleaner tasting beer with a lot less sediment in the bottle than would otherwise be the case.

Back