Larger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googe

Reaction score
G'day all, newbie here. Have been reading this site the past week or so and must say wow so much info it makes my head spin!!. I used to brew 10 or more years ago but have just got back into it. Im a noob now lol. Missus brought me a kit for chrissy and have done the coopers larger(drank it already lol) came out better than i thought!!. Done a canadian blonde, not very nice probably to young yet. Did a coopers pale ale last week and had a taste lastnight, must say it was very yummy :). Bottling a draught tonight. Been hunting around for Goldrush Polar beer but cant seem to find it? used to brew it years ago and love it!!. Im looking for a nice larger, something that could replicate monteiths golden larger or crownie. Any recipes would be greatly apriciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers Greg

Try this for a Larger Lager.

24L
2kg Light Dried Malt Extract
1kg Dextrose
80g Czech Saaz Hops
Fermentis S189 Swiss Lager Yeast

In a 5L saucepan, bring 3L of water and 300g of LDME to the boil. Note the time. Set to a gentle simmer.

Add 20g of hops. 15 minutes later add another 20g of hops. 15 minutes later add another 20g of hops. 15 minutes later add another 20g of hops. (Set the stove's timer)

60 minutes have passed. Turn off the heat. Add the dry indregients to your fermenter.

Pour the contents of your saucepan through a sieve into the fermenter. The LDME will be all lumpy - don't worry about it.

Top up with cold water to 24L. Add yeast and ferment at between 12C and 19C (not over - lagers need to ferment cold).

Very, very tasty.

G'day all, newbie here. Have been reading this site the past week or so and must say wow so much info it makes my head spin!!. I used to brew 10 or more years ago but have just got back into it. Im a noob now lol. Missus brought me a kit for chrissy and have done the coopers larger(drank it already lol) came out better than i thought!!. Done a canadian blonde, not very nice probably to young yet. Did a coopers pale ale last week and had a taste lastnight, must say it was very yummy :) . Bottling a draught tonight. Been hunting around for Goldrush Polar beer but cant seem to find it? used to brew it years ago and love it!!. Im looking for a nice larger, something that could replicate monteiths golden larger or crownie. Any recipes would be greatly apriciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers Greg

Has anyone ever told you that you are larger than life greg,

Lager is the german word for storage/cellar
Larger is the polite way of describing a girl who isnt fat but certainly larger than normal.

Thanks for putting the guy straight on the terminology :icon_cheers:

Canadian Blonde is a good kit for adding things to as it's quite bland - intentionally.

Depending on what appeals to you, a Canadian Blonde plus a pack of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 (or home brew mix equivalent), 20g of any American hop pellets such as Cascade, just put in the fermenter after four days fermenting, will lift the brew immensely. Another thing is to use a better yeast such as US-05 which will give a cleaner taste. Also temperature control is the big thing - ferment below 20 degrees.

Happy brewing and welcome to the larger than life hobby :icon_cheers:

Too funny Stillscottish.

I will second Nick JD's suggestion. Get used to some more ingredients and you won't believe the beers you will be brewing buddy. Seriously I felt like Marco Polo (the bloke, not the hop) when I did my first batch with hops and grains... it was like I had discovered the third magnetic pole of the earth, and it made awesome beer.

Cheers Nick, thanks for that mate. Ive got a recipe from a brew shop in melb much the same but not as detailed. Will give it a go mate :). Trust a scot to think along them lines ;) and littlebowinkle has no choice but to think LARGE :p . Thanks for the heads up Nashmandu ;) .

Thanks Bribie, i did the #2 brewers mix with it. I ll give what you said a go :). Cant wait to get right into it bizier, the brains ticking fulltime lol. Such great info here. I just bottled a c/draft, had a taste before bottling and it was beautiful!!. Tasted better than the blonde, even the missus was impressed!. Had a few pale ales this arvo, think ive found one of my fav's, its only 15 days old but very smooth.

Back