Large Mytton Grosvenor kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick_BCB

Reaction score
Mate of mine acquired these two kegs, and before I think too much about cutting them up and re-purposing one of them I thought to ask here to see if I was about to destroy something of value. Never seen them before, so am ignorant of their history - happy to be educated.

Mate of mine acquired these two kegs, and before I think too much about cutting them up and re-purposing one of them I thought to ask here to see if I was about to destroy something of value. Never seen them before, so am ignorant of their history - happy to be educated.

Please don't cut them up. They are some of the best kegs for home brewing. Youre better off selling them and chopping up some 50L DIN kegs instead, the beer gods will thank you.

As for history, i believe that they were manufactured in Melbourne by Mytton Grosvenor. I think they were made primarily for post mix but i have heard some ciders were also distributed in them back in the day. They have 1/2" bsp threads which can be handy for connecting different setups.

If you were in Sydney id happily swap them for some din kegs. You'll find a buyer on one of these forums or gumtree in no time if you choose to sell them.

Last edited:
I’ve got two. They are good kegs.
The disconnects are 1/2” and a bit fiddly if they aren’t sealing.
They are 45 litres and tall/thin so fit in some fridges easier than 50s.

I’ve got two. They are good kegs.
The disconnects are 1/2” and a bit fiddly if they aren’t sealing.
They are 45 litres and tall/thin so fit in some fridges easier than 50s.

I found the same with the posts. So i swapped them out for the 1/4" bulkhead post into a 1/2-1/4" reducing bush, seems to be working well so far.
The 5/8" washers for tap shanks etc fit really well as a replacement to the hard plastic washers, again not original but it makes my life easier.

Mate, what you have there are absolute GOLD, so don't cut them up under any circumstances!

As others have said, they can be a bit fiddly & expensive to replace parts, but they're absolutely solid/bullet-proof & WAAAAY better than any of the (sometimes not) reconditioned Cornys or flimsy Chinese new kegs you can currently buy from major retailers.

They were over-engineered & designed to withstand decades of abuse in a commercial environment, so you know you've got something well-built.

Everything I own/use is Mytton-Rodd kegs & I won't part with them for as long as my arse points to the ground

I found the same with the posts. So i swapped them out for the 1/4" bulkhead post into a 1/2-1/4" reducing bush, seems to be working well so far.
The 5/8" washers for tap shanks etc fit really well as a replacement to the hard plastic washers, again not original but it makes my life easier.
Brewman (and no do, others) have the replacement parts for refurbishing these beaut, fwiw.
I have new seals in a 9 litre and two 19ish litre kegs of this type.

I put up an "How-To" service the posts, pretty easy if you think it through. I get my parts from Brewman to.
Just realised I have 4 of these I haven't used for a couple of years, as I've down sized my brewery - might as well put them up for sale - will start another thread...
Mark

Mate, what you have there are absolute GOLD, so don't cut them up under any circumstances!

As others have said, they can be a bit fiddly & expensive to replace parts, but they're absolutely solid/bullet-proof & WAAAAY better than any of the (sometimes not) reconditioned Cornys or flimsy Chinese new kegs you can currently buy from major retailers.

They were over-engineered & designed to withstand decades of abuse in a commercial environment, so you know you've got something well-built.

Everything I own/use is Mytton-Rodd kegs & I won't part with them for as long as my arse points to the ground
martin
where do i get the main keg seals for the mytton rodd kegs. i bought about 15 from a sale

Brewman (and no do, others) have the replacement parts for refurbishing these beaut, fwiw.
I have new seals in a 9 litre and two 19ish litre kegs of this type.
i looked at brewman site and they don't seem to have keg main seals on their website. who else may have them??

martin
where do i get the main keg seals for the mytton rodd kegs. i bought about 15 from a sale

If you're talking about the lid seals, then any standard keg lid O-ring will fit, no problems. It's the other bits that are a little harder to find.

If they're a bit old, it's probably a good idea to replace all the seals (including all the little ones inside the posts) as per the post by MHB above. It'll probably cost you about $10/keg to completely recondition/replace all the "soft" parts, but will then last you several years before you need to replace anything.

If you're talking about the lid seals, then any standard keg lid O-ring will fit, no problems. It's the other bits that are a little harder to find.

If they're a bit old, it's probably a good idea to replace all the seals (including all the little ones inside the posts) as per the post by MHB above. It'll probably cost you about $10/keg to completely recondition/replace all the "soft" parts, but will then last you several years before you need to replace anything.
bought some o rings for main keg seal from cheeky peak brewery but they are not as flat as originals and don't seal near where feet engage

Wayne
Still cant PM you (not sure if its just that your new or it could be your settings - ask admin) Brewman is going on holidays for the next week or so, I'll be filling in to keep the orders moving, if you send an email to Brewman ([email protected]) I'll have a look at what you need and see if we cant find the parts for you.
There were some hatch O-rings there last time I needed some, as well as all the other small parts.
Over time the shape of the hatch O-rings morphs into the shape you are seeing, they start out round but eventually remember the shape of the hatch. Over the years there have been lots of different O-rings made some were different having a D shaped section these are no longer available and the round ones will work.
There have also been lots of different hatches, some that have an impressed dent in the side where the locking leaver is mounted are a bit of a PITA but in general unless the hatch is bent (can happen) you should be able to get a seal.
Mark

PS
If you take out a keg post and find the washer (called a Life Saver washer) is yellow, get it out (probably in pieces) the material they are made of crumbles over time and you end up with yellow plastic crumbs jammed in all your parts or in your beer, seriously painful.
M

Mark beat me to the punch & should be able to help you out from Brewman stock.

Wayne
Still cant PM you (not sure if its just that your new or it could be your settings - ask admin) Brewman is going on holidays for the next week or so, I'll be filling in to keep the orders moving, if you send an email to Brewman ([email protected]) I'll have a look at what you need and see if we cant find the parts for you.
There were some hatch O-rings there last time I needed some, as well as all the other small parts.
Over time the shape of the hatch O-rings morphs into the shape you are seeing, they start out round but eventually remember the shape of the hatch. Over the years there have been lots of different O-rings made some were different having a D shaped section these are no longer available and the round ones will work.
There have also been lots of different hatches, some that have an impressed dent in the side where the locking leaver is mounted are a bit of a PITA but in general unless the hatch is bent (can happen) you should be able to get a seal.
Mark

PS
If you take out a keg post and find the washer (called a Life Saver washer) is yellow, get it out (probably in pieces) the material they are made of crumbles over time and you end up with yellow plastic crumbs jammed in all your parts or in your beer, seriously painful.
M
found there were two different types of lids. one has mounts on top as per picture and the other mounts down side . the one with side mounts seem to be giving most problem with sealing. have replaced most other parts. o rings etc.
will contact you re: parts later. thanks for your help

Back