Laos & Cambodia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Hi All,
Am off to SE Asia again for a month of backpacking. This time mostly Laos & Cambodia. Have done some research and tried some Angkor last time I was that way.
Sent a message to spoof - as I remembered he was going to be in Phnom Penh, but didnt hear back. Looked at his profile and he hasnt been seen since June 09. Hope thats only not seen on here....

What I am after are some good local beers recommended by AHB members that have been there before.
Regards,
mckenry.

Beerlaos is very good for what is basically a mega beer. I drank it here, from the bottle and still got a nice whack of hops (again, for a mega). Would like to try a fresher example.

...the concern shown by a fellow home brewer has prompted me to sort out my lapsed account ! So, i'm still living in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and unfortunately for an ale drinker at least it's pretty much a beer wasteland although Lager drinkers are of course well catered for.

When I first arrived I did a taste test of the local brews and posted reviews on my blog here...have a read if you're interested. For me, Anchor & Beer Laos are the best of the lagers. Beer Laos Dark is well worth checking out, as are the tropical stouts if you like that kind of thing.

http://apintandacupcake.blogspot.com/2009/...ny-drop-to.html

There are a couple of "micro-breweries" in town who make ale styles but they're nothing to write home about - Man Han Lou Restaurant and the Munich Beer Restaurant. A quick google will get you the addresses. I haven't tried home brewing here due to the lack of local ingredients - importing seems too expensive especially for AG and i'll be back in Australia in March.

In any case, a glass of ice cold lager sitting in a wicker chair somewhere overlooking the Mekong seems to be where it's at :)

Enjoy your trip !

Hi All,
Am off to SE Asia again for a month of backpacking. This time mostly Laos & Cambodia. Have done some research and tried some Angkor last time I was that way.
Sent a message to spoof - as I remembered he was going to be in Phnom Penh, but didnt hear back. Looked at his profile and he hasnt been seen since June 09. Hope thats only not seen on here....

What I am after are some good local beers recommended by AHB members that have been there before.
Regards,
mckenry.

I can certainly recommend a Beer Lao or 2! And when in South EA you can' t really go past Tiger which was available pretty much throughout Laos earlier in the year. If you are heading to Luang Prabang, Hive Bar & Lao Lao Gardens have frosty "giraffe taps". Excellent draught system...I think we need to have these in Oz actually. Have a great trip!

I can certainly recommend a Beer Lao or 2! And when in South EA you can' t really go past Tiger which was available pretty much throughout Laos earlier in the year. If you are heading to Luang Prabang, Hive Bar & Lao Lao Gardens have frosty "giraffe taps". Excellent draught system...I think we need to have these in Oz actually. Have a great trip!

Cheers B&T will check out the giraffe taps.

Back