Laksa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a go at a laksa yesterday after getting inspired here, its been over a year perhaps since I last made it and it came up very well.
Gotta agree with andrew about the all nite sessions were you drink enough beer for 15 men and have a bit of a cook up for a late lunch the next day, its a good feeling when your otherwise not feeling 100%.

I made mine with the asia@home brand laksa paste from coles and thought that paste was pretty good even if some people think thats the kit and kilo swill version of making laksa, anyway also added was.....
1 onion cut into reasonably large wedge shapes fried with a clove of garlic.
4 chicken thighs roughly rusticly cut then added to that with 1 carrot and half the jar of paste and when cooked then in goes a 400ml tin of coconut milk and 600mls of water and simmered for a couple minutes.
When done a hand full of hokkien noodles go in the bowl first with boiling water for 3 mins then drained and sepperated and topped with a hand full of bean sprouts then the laksa gets poured over.

As I'am home by myself living with my daughter who wouldn't eat it anyway I don't really need to use any more vege to fill it out as this makes four huge bowls worth so carrot and onion is the only vege besides the bean sprouts. I find that works wonderfully.

I do prefer the hokkien noodles but you do have to do them with the boiling water in the bowl, i did try adding them into the laksa when cooking once and that wasn't a to good of a idea, hard to sepperate and they go all mushy on the outside I found.

I think thats about it, heres some pics.

laksa001.jpg

laksa011.jpg

Looks great Jayse,

I found the same thing with Hokkien noodles. Now I pour the boiling water over them and bust them up with my hands or tongs as soon as possible then drain them as soon as they are floppy (excuse the technical term).

When I do Laksas or my other favourite, Mussamans, I chuck the left over Hokkien into the left over sauce. The noodles soak up heaps of the sauce but geez they're tasty the next day! Excellent for lunch. We have made some of our customer's mouths water after we have borrowed their microwaves the next day and left their homes stinking of curry! bwahaha!

There was a brand of Mussaman curry years ago called Song Gai and I cant find it any more, it was unreal. I noticed disappearing from the shelves of the supermarkets when I lived in Melbourne. I then moved to Ayers Rock and when I visited Alice Springs cleaned the Woollies out of their last 24 bottles. Lasted me 3 years or so. It was delish and had the best smell. Nothing wrong with K&K curry.

Latest posts

Back