Lagering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironxmortlock

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've got a couple of questions about lagering.

1. Does lagering effect the taste or does it just make the beer clearer?
  2. Do I need to rack the beer or can I just leave it in the fermenter and drop the temp?
  3. I've got a Cooper's Australian Bitter with S23 on at the moment; what would be the minimum lagering time? Some people say 6 weeks +!

Thanks for your help!
:icon_chickcheers:

M

M

mate i reckon it all depends on your equipment, quality and quantity.

personally i have never lagered any beer only studied the concept.

once i have my own place and can proper set up i will set up a lagering tank aswell.

the biggest issue us homebrewers have is contamination, so to rack the beer to another carboy as much as it can improve the flavour of the beer and clarity you are exposing it to an infection point.

but i reckon if you have the time to spare why not experiment with just cooling your brew once fermentation has completed, another idea may be rack half the brew and keep the other half in original fermenter, larger for whatever time you desire and check the difference - or bottle/keg half and lager the other half and check the difference.

let us know your results if you decide to do some experimenting.

Moonshine

I have lagered a brew on the yeast cake for two weeks with good results. Not sure I would do it for to much more.

Clarity in kit beers has never been a issue for me. But with extract CC can help with clarity for sure.

Lagering will smooth out flavors in any beer be it ale or lager.

Cheers

Hi Folks,

I've got a couple of questions about lagering.

1. Does lagering effect the taste or does it just make the beer clearer?
  2. Do I need to rack the beer or can I just leave it in the fermenter and drop the temp?
  3. I've got a Cooper's Australian Bitter with S23 on at the moment; what would be the minimum lagering time? Some people say 6 weeks +!

Thanks for your help!
:icon_chickcheers:

M

Hey, I am currently cold conditioning 2 extract brews (Neils Centerillo & Dr Smurtos Golden Ale). Took a couple of days to get down to 1 degree but has been there for 3 days now. Due to a shortage of stockpiled beer I will be bottling on Monday and Tuesday. Next 2 brews will be a Pilsner & Lager (poss Cerveza), both extract. Will be fermenting at 12 and then CCing at 1 for 3-4 weeks.

I also racked to alternate vessels to get it off the trub. Each to their own but my goal is to clear the beer up as much as possible, and given I'll have to lift out of the fridge to bottle I'd prefer to have no cake in there.

Good luck!

Mut

Back