Lagering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
couple of things,
1: best not to lager in your primary fermenter - can lead to off flavors from trub

2: i dont think you should worry about enough yeast after cold conditioning. The cells will always multiply in the presence of food (ie sugar) until its all gone. If you have less yeast it'll probably just take longer. The only reason i could think of requiring x amount of cells is that different levels may produce different flavors?

3: With lagering, i've read that the lower the temperature the longer you have to lager for. Presumably lagering is primarily done to clean up diacetylene and mature flavours, hence the lower the temp the longer it takes. I'll find a link if your interested

JT

couple of things,
1: best not to lager in your primary fermenter - can lead to off flavors from trub

2: i dont think you should worry about enough yeast after cold conditioning. The cells will always multiply in the presence of food (ie sugar) until its all gone. If you have less yeast it'll probably just take longer. The only reason i could think of requiring x amount of cells is that different levels may produce different flavors?

3: With lagering, i've read that the lower the temperature the longer you have to lager for. Presumably lagering is primarily done to clean up diacetylene and mature flavours, hence the lower the temp the longer it takes. I'll find a link if your interested

JT
1. Nothing wrong with 'lagering' in primary... one can 'lager' for as short a time or as long a time as they want. Just don't lager too long when in primary. Several weeks or even a couple of months should be fine at low temps. 1C to -1C.
2. yeast doesn't always reproduce in the presence of food... it will grow in numbers until it is at the appropriate rate to consume the food. i.e. the lag phase. If you pitch enough yeast you will have the appropriate rate of growth and minimize unwanted flavours from the yeast.
3.Lagering is done primarily to drop out proteins that cause haze and some less than desired flavours. Lagering will not clean up diacetylene (sic).

Back