Lagering Carbonated Or Not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therook

Reaction score
I know it's probably been done to death, but after doing lots of searching and reading there are so many conflicting answers.

I'm currently fermenting a Pilsner and when its done i want to lager it until October.

What's the best option

After fermentation

1. transfer to clean cube and leave at cold temps in fridge until October
2. transfer to keg and carbonate up

I'm hoping to do an Octoberfest beer in the next 2 weeks and lager this also until October

Rook

Not sure about the carbonation but at the very least purge the headspace with CO2.

I think I'd carbonate though.

I'd go option 3 - transfer to keg, lager uncarbonated in keg.

EDIT: Purge the head space of course as RobW said...

Rook, dont lager a Pilsener without CO2 pressure.
Especially for a long period of lagering a CO2 content is essential.

Im lagering all my Pilseners at around 80 KPa at a temp of 0C.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Zwickel - is that a constant 80kpa with the gass hooked up? Or set at 80 kpa and then disconnect?

Zwickel - is that a constant 80kpa with the gass hooked up? Or set at 80 kpa and then disconnect?
thats a constant pressure over all the time, no gas hooked up, its the natural CO2 pressure.

thats a constant pressure over all the time, no gas hooked up, its the natural CO2 pressure.
Interesting - do you find that it is slightly overcarbonated doing this (0degrees @ 80kPa)?
ie. the colder the temp, the more CO2 disolves into solution, then you raise it to 4-6deg for drinking, and there is too much CO2.

Interesting - do you find that it is slightly overcarbonated doing this (0degrees @ 80kPa)?
ie. the colder the temp, the more CO2 disolves into solution, then you raise it to 4-6deg for drinking, and there is too much CO2.
that is true, but whilst pouring youre gonna lose a certain amount of Co2, depending on your pouring system, so I found my beers are perfect carbonated with that (for myself).

btw. my Weizens are stored and poured at 150 KPa and thats fine.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Back