Lael's Braumiser build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bcavan said:
This might be a little off topic but who better to ask than a skilled Brau-builder - it concerns an alternative method of sealing the bottom of the malt pipe.
I've got a mate who can roll and weld some stainless into a malt pipe (or two) and I was thinking of using the following EDPM seals from Clark Rubber for the bottom seal rather than go for the silicone tubing method used on the Big-W Pots.

727.jpg

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/epdm-boot-rubber-medium-pinchweld-with-top-bulb-24mm-x-14mm-41.html

Can anyone see a problem with my plans? the EDPM rubber is rated up to 130 degrees C and is used for roofing membranes as it doesn't leach into captured rainwater.
The problem I see with this is that there is a bit of "metal" inside to provide the clamp... Is that stainless?

That's a good point, but it's also rubber. I'd stay well clear of anything rubber that will make direct contact with wort. Unless you are certain it won't leach flavours.

I would tend to agree. I like silicone - proven safe and works well. The 3/8" from craftbrewer is excellent and works flawlessly for me. If you want a moulded silicone there was a link on the nextgen thread for a manufacturer in China that would be worth a look.

I would like to third the recommendation of not using rubber. Water running over a seal in a roofing application at low temperature is different to the rubber being completely submerged at high temperature. I think silicone is a better choice and it's not that pricey.

Quick update: top locking mechanisms must be strong. Attached is a pic of my 4mm stainless bar bending due to the expanded grain and pressure from the pump... Im gonna have to get a bigger boat (i mean bar)... upsizing to 8mm for the next run

Still made beer though! :beerbang:

top%20lock.jpg

After delay upon delay at last some progress:

20141013_122700.jpg
as you see the sheds a bit full, the 3v has to go :(, but really happy with the stand.
20141013_122715.jpg
I'm yet to pick a spot for the thermo, it is really tight with both elements in there (total of 4800w)
20141013_122654.jpg
And best of all no heavy lifting required!!

Have a few things to chase down over the next week or so, will post some shots of the first brew on the Monster. One thing that hasn't been mentioned before the silicone seals for the all thread, elements(they came with fibre ones so tossed them), and the thermo are all complements of grolsch, and on leak test today not a drop.This has been a wild ride really getting close now!!!

lol - nice. What was the diameter and hieght of your two elements? Are they full stainless? They look good!

did a leak test yesterday, water height was 50mm and covering the elements just, I tightened up both elements so the small one is around 375mm ID the other around the 400mm mark. I don't think they're stainless probably alloy of some description, nice to work with, I've reshaped with a nudge or two fairly easily. I would certainly recommend and use again.

Back