Lack Of Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
So I put down a draught a little while ago, cracked the bottle after 2 weeks carbing poured it out and found it to have a very bad head retention. I mean I did everything right (used be2, had a showbrewer come in and watch what I was doing etc). Yet the lager I made which was a complete stuff up, sat it for a month before sitting it in the fridge for 2 weeks, I cracked it, and it has excellent head retention. Can anyone tell me what the hell I am doing wrong?

I assume this is a kit beer? what else was added, final volume, final gravity etc?

I had issues with my bottled beers because its turned cold here in Melbourne - i normally keg so was a bit rusty with keeping bottles warm. However further info will help others guess at what's wrong

So I put down a draught a little while ago, cracked the bottle after 2 weeks carbing poured it out and found it to have a very bad head retention. I mean I did everything right (used be2, had a showbrewer come in and watch what I was doing etc). Yet the lager I made which was a complete stuff up, sat it for a month before sitting it in the fridge for 2 weeks, I cracked it, and it has excellent head retention. Can anyone tell me what the hell I am doing wrong?

Probably nothing. Colder weather means longer carbing times. I dunno where you are but the chronology of your story suggests the "stuffed up" lager was at a warmer time of year than this one? Give it some time and maybe bring them in the house if they aren't there already.

Every time I have had a lack of head it's been due to issues with my neck.

Every time I've had a lack of head it's been due to issues with SWMBO's neck.

(Sorry but it had to be done)

Every time I've had a lack of head it's been due to issues with SWMBO's neck.

(Sorry but it had to be done)

mate, your too nice , don't let her take advantage of your good nature !

Yeah sorry when I posted I was half asleep. yeah a kit beer,fg was around 1004. The beers currently reside near my computer for some extra warmth, but I might get some rags or something to tuck them in. The beer had bubbles and formed a head but the head didn't stay on the beer for very long.

Could be a number of things ranging from clean glassware to lack of hop oils.

Two weeks is still a bit young
assume kit?
What brand and type?

yeah I did sterilize the bottles with some brigalow cleaner, and it was a Coopers draught kit.

yeah I did sterilize the bottles with some brigalow cleaner, and it was a Coopers draught kit.

I have always had good head from coopers draught (but don't tell the wife) :icon_cheers:
What did you add LDM or BE2 or Dextrose?

Are you happy you got the cleaner out afterwards.
Did you just clean or clean then rinse then sanitize with no rinse ?

Could still be a bit young 2 weeks at this time of year ???

I have always had good head from coopers draught (but don't tell the wife) :icon_cheers:
What did you add LDM or BE2 or Dextrose?

Are you happy you got the cleaner out afterwards.
Did you just clean or clean then rinse then sanitize with no rinse ?

Could still be a bit young 2 weeks at this time of year ???

1. I used be2.

2. I had the bottles sitting in the sanitizer, and I individually washed the bottles out with hot water until I couldn't smell the sanitiser.

Back