Labeling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bekhenry

Reaction score
What do you guys label your brew with? I've tried stickers but that was a disaster as i cant get the stickers off my bottles now!
Bek

What do you guys label your brew with? I've tried stickers but that was a disaster as i cant get the stickers off my bottles now!
Bek

There was big thread on labelling about three months ago - had a quick look but couldn't find it.

The only labels I put on my beer is ordinary, bloody ordinary and good for poisoning snails !

There was big thread on labelling about three months ago - had a quick look but couldn't find it.

The only labels I put on my beer is ordinary, bloody ordinary and good for poisoning snails !

How do you link in this site.?

Go to Forums/Common Ground type type lables into search and there is an old thread that may be useful too.

I use different color caps on my bottles to differentiate between my brews.

Thanks - im having a look at beer label brewer now.
The problem with using different coloured caps is i've got 5 brew going atm!

Bek

Write on the lids with a permanent marker or if you want detail, number or code it with a reference eg.

A1 = pils
A2 = stout
Z5 = APA

I normally put my reference on the side of the fridge with a white board marker so as you can change them at any time ;)

Thanks - im having a look at beer label brewer now.
The problem with using different coloured caps is i've got 5 brew going atm!

Bek

I have

Black = Stout
Gold = Pils
Green = Wheat
Red = Bav Lager
Gold Coopers = 2nd Pils Batch

I'm going to start labeling my PET bottles by just using the cap and putting a round sticker on them, then just putting a different colour felt pen mark on each different brew. Then on the inside of my brew cubboard will be a chart with the corresponding colours and related beers.

if using glass bottles I just write the date on the cap in felt pen.

I use office laser labels (like for labeling envelopes)...eg

Kenzie Hop Ale
Brewed 3/8/07
Bottled 26/8/07
US56, ~4.9%

This fits on a 2.5cm tall label and I just top ontop of bottlecap and a little on the bottle. never had any trouble getting them off or identifying my beer.

and if one was so inclined you could you use work printer to prtin them. Not that I would do anything like that. ;)

I write on the caps. If you use a fine tip permanant pen you can fit a fair bit on. I usually just put the brew and bottling date on - no codes here, just abbreviations AM BR = American Brown; SGL = Southern German Lager; BoPils = BoPils; RIS = Russian Imperial Stout; GSA= golden Strong Ale (you get the idea)

I pretty much do the same as Cracka. I have a whiteboard on my fermenting fridge which I just write down various codes. 1,2,3 etc.. along with their bottling date. I think just scribble that code (eg: 2) on the cap of each bottle. Not real pretty, but it does the job.

When I give someone a gift, I typically use MS Word Label maker and just print off those avery labels on a laser printer. The problem is they peel off fairly easily, and off course are useless after a bottle wash - so I normally dont bother beyond a mark on the cap.

Its interesting seeing everyone's different systems.

I started with a coloured cap system but that went out the window the first time I was in the middle of bottling and ran out of the right colour caps. Then I started coloured dots on the caps but that went the same way as the coloured cap system and my 5 yo son kept pinching all the stickers.

Now I use sticker dots of any colour and have a little system of letters showing what type of beer, with numbers showing the batch.

eg

Lager = L
Pale Ale = PA
Pilsener = P
Stout = S
Browns = B
Toucans = TC
etc

Then Pale Ale batch 3 is PA3. My brewing log book is then consulted to see what I put in that PA brew and how old it is. This is also quick and easy to write so after the long bottling process you don't have to spend too much time writing labels.

Rodders

When I was bottling I just numbered each of my brews on the recipe sheet and then that number goes on the lid with a marker pen. Easy!
Cheers
Steve

depends why your labeling i spose...

if its just for myself i simply write on the cap with a nikko/sharpie

however for the case swap i just printed the labels out on a laser printer (work) cut them out and used some watered down PVA (quite watered down) and brushed it on each of the short sides of the label (where the xx are on my sweet ascii art)
Code:

|xxx						xxx|

|xxx						xxx|

|xxx	  brew label		xxx|

|xxx						xxx|

|xxx						xxx|

-------------------------------

And then stuck it to the bottle, this means it will be easier to clean off but should be solid enough.

write on the bottle caps with a fine tipped permanent marker - can get batch number, 3 letter abbreviation of the beer, date bottled and ABV no problems. Takes me maybe 5 minutes to label a batch after bottling, well worth it down the track when it comes to enjoying

Back