Krausen Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Arcana

Reaction score
G'day Fellas,

I put together a Black IPA on Sunday gone, pitched the yeast that night, yesterday morning there was no activity, when I got back from work yesterday afternoon the yeast was doing its thing a healthy looking krausen was alive and active. This morning I checked on it and the krausen had disappeared, I know this is standard but normally it takes at least 3 or 4 days before this happens for me if not a bit longer. Is this normal activity? It is sitting in a temp controlled chest freezer at 18c.

cheers,

Dan

I wouldn't worry about it. I have had that happen and it usually just means that the yeast got through easily-fermentable sugars quickly and have now moved onto the bigger ones.

Take a gravity reading - it should have shifted quite a lot from OG.

Hope the fermentation is ticking along nicely.
Just a question about your recipe as I've been keen to put a Black IPA on for a while.
What was your recipe based off or from?
What were your ingredients? & Process eg: steeped specialty grains, partial boil with hop additions?

Cheers,

mcalpine91 said:
Hope the fermentation is ticking along nicely.
Just a question about your recipe as I've been keen to put a Black IPA on for a while.
What was your recipe based off or from?
What were your ingredients? & Process eg: steeped specialty grains, partial boil with hop additions?

Cheers,
G'day mcalpine91

Mate if you go to general recipe discussion and in there I wrote up a topic called "All Extract Black IPA" you will see i'm trying to get something similar to the Feral Brewery's Karma Citra Black IPA have a look there mate and it will give you a basic idea.

cheers,

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan.
I had a look at the thread and it sounds pretty good!

Just a bit of clarification sorry because the discussion continues after your recipe alteration.

Did you go with the 150g of the spec malts Carafa II special & chocolate malt warm steeped
The 150g roasted barley cold steeped?

Did you bring the Citra 60min addition up to 20min?

Still go with the 2 x US05 yeast?

Looking forward to giving this one a crack,

Cheers,

mcalpine91 said:
Thanks for the reply Dan.
I had a look at the thread and it sounds pretty good!

Just a bit of clarification sorry because the discussion continues after your recipe alteration.

Did you go with the 150g of the spec malts Carafa II special & chocolate malt warm steeped
The 150g roasted barley cold steeped?

Did you bring the Citra 60min addition up to 20min?

Still go with the 2 x S05 yeast?

Looking forward to giving this one a crack,

Cheers,
G'day mcalpine91

19L Batch

Partial boil of 10L

I did change the recipe a little bit mate since that, in the end I used 180gm of the carafe special 2 and 180gm of chocolate malt both steeped at 67c for 30mins I opted not to use the roasted Barley. the hop schedule I have at home sorry mate, but I did do a 60min addition of citra of 10gm the next additions where all done from 15mins, some at 10mins and some at 5, also a bit at flame out. I will probably dry hop a bit aswell at day 8.

The yeast I was hoping to use was Wyeast 1272 American Ale 11 but they ran out so I opted to try out the 1084 Irish Ale, the 2 x s05 would still be okay though mate.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info Dan, hope it turns out well.
I've got a keg that's just about empty and think this will be filling it!

Cheers,

Major Arcana said:
It was Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, they ran out of 1272 American Ale 11, but I think it should work well, what are your thoughts?
That stuff is a veritable BEAST & will happily ferment small titanium alloy blocks! 'Wouldn't surprise me if you're done already, but as above, take gravity readings to be sure.

Back