Is it stuck?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trq

Reaction score
Hey fellas. Another question for ya.

This is the first beer I've been able to ferment controlled within my new freezer fermentation chamber. I've got the controller set to 19°c, and it appears to be coming along nicely. It has however been 7 days today, and it's still looking pretty active.

I don't think I've had a beer take longer than maybe 4-5 days before, just wondering if this might be *stuck*?

I haven't taken any readings, thought I'd just let it go, probably give it another few days before I start doing so. But yeah, wondering, would a stuck ferment still look active like that?

One concern is my controller played up on me there one night and thought the temp was lower than it actually was, so it turned the heat on when it shouldn't. By morning when I found and restarted it, it read 34°c. No idea how long it had been at that temp, but it was at like day 2-3 so the ferment was pretty active at the time (that is also the reason the krausen got so high up the fermentor). I have a new controller now and it's been a steady 19°c ever since.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    972 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    917.2 KB · Views: 73
Do you think I should give it a shake or bring the temp up a little? Or just leave it and see?

Some krausens hang around for a very long time, generally yeast dependant.
My guess is that it has pretty much finished up the primary ferment, but a hydro sample will tell you that.

Step 1: take a reading
Step 2: depending on reading, panic or relax.

If it got to 34deg, chances are everything is finished. Also a fairly good chance it will taste pretty ordinary.

Also, while I've got you here. I'm planning on moving this into a keg to dry hop it and use it as a secondary of sorts. I need to make room in the chamber for the next batch.

Once the active fermentation is complete, is it going to be ok to just leave in a keg at ambient temps for a week or two before I move it into my kegerator and eventually tap it? (I have no other option really)

Some krausens hang around for a very long time, generally yeast dependant.
Ah ok. I'll take a reading tonight, and then another tomorrow then.

Also a fairly good chance it will taste pretty ordinary.
Oh damn... I figured that might be the case. But I guess I'll wait and see. No idea how long it got there for, and I'm just hoping the wort/beer itself didn't actually get to that kind of temp.

Also, while I've got you here. I'm planning on moving this into a keg to dry hop it and use it as a secondary of sorts. I need to make room in the chamber for the next batch.

Once the active fermentation is complete, is it going to be ok to just leave in a keg at ambient temps for a week or two before I move it into my kegerator and eventually tap it? (I have no other option really)

not ideal, but shouldnt be a huge problem, make sure you purge the keg good and proper as you would normally.
You may end up with a little pressure (as the last point or two drop off), and you will end up with more mud in the bottom of the keg than you normally would

not ideal, but shouldn't be a huge problem
Would it be better if I chilled it? I can probably fit it in and do that.

I was just thinking of moving it into a secondary container to do the dry hopping, I'll probably move it again into another keg before I serve it. Not sure now, that might not be needed?

I'm trying to get on track to stick to something like this as a schedule. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-LZphna0E8yQ_tIw3K54ARk22nRXTukkFU4dU8t2JuI/edit?usp=sharing

I only have room for one fermentor in my chamber, I have 4 kegs, and room for 3 in my kegerator.

In the past, I've really not let my beers age at all, and I really want to start doing so.

Back