Krausen Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdaust

Reaction score
Is my krausen supposed to dissipate before I can bottle?

Its been a week and a half, but a couple of days ago when I dry hopped it seems to have foamed up again.

Take a reading it will tell you what's going on with the alc. If it was me I would leave it untill the activity you are talking about settles, it doesn't hurt to leave it in the primary for a while regardless.

Is my krausen supposed to dissipate before I can bottle?

Its been a week and a half, but a couple of days ago when I dry hopped it seems to have foamed up again.

Have you checked your specific gravity?
Is it in ball park for your recipe?
If so has it been stable for 2 to 3 days?

If so then it should be OK to bottle.

regards

Graeme

Ill take sg readings. But I gather from what had been said that the krausen doesn't really matter. I.e. don't use it as an indicator of anything in particular.

At the moment it looks like the top of a crumpet.

Yum, crumpet krausen, it's a good place. :icon_drool2:

As above, use your hydrometer, but the krausen (on an ale yeast at least) is normally a pretty good hint that there is still something going on in there.
Generally you'd expect it to drop but that is a gross generalisation and far from a hard and fast rule.

You haven't given enough info to really know (brew type, temperature, yeast etc?) but it looks, on the face of it, like your dry hopping kicked off some fermentation again.

Is the fermenter in a fridge? If it is, wait until you hit stable SG readings in the zone of what you're after, then 'cold crash' - drop the temperature down to 5C and everything in the brew will drop down to the bottom = clearer beer.

Above all, I would be patient. trust your hydrometer.

Perhaps it may have been that by adding the hops you provided hop dust, small particulate material, surface area etc etc that encouraged the carbon dioxide that was in solution to come out of solution and thus cause foaming? Take the precautionary approach as advised = SG readings. It won't hurt to leave it another week or so (and that will give the dry hopping a good go at putting it's goodness into the beer!).

Sorry hsb - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=57577&hl=

Fermenter is just in my spare room. But its stayed at a stable 14 degrees according to the stick on thermometer.

I was planning on bottling it this weekend. But perhaps I'm just being impatient. Everyone keeps saying it wont hurt to leave it for another week. So perhaps I'll have to keep drinking oettinger a week longer than planned.

This forum really is a hot-bed of info. Off to do some more reading... Cheers guys.

Latest posts

Back