Kolsch With No Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester

Reaction score
Hi all, just need some help with the Kolsch recipe i have done. The flavour is nice, dont want to change it at all but will be using gelatine and filtering on this one to see the difference. The only problem is it has very little head. I have nothing to gauge my kolsch on so dont know if its normal to have little head on a kolsch or not. So can anyone suggest a tweek on the recipe that i have used, what can i add to give it more head while not altering the flavour too much?
The grain bill was as follows,
8.0kg Pilsner malt
.9kg Munich
.6 Wheat
And i used the kolsch liquid yeast, if it makes any difference.
Thanks in advance.

Hi all, just need some help with the Kolsch recipe i have done. The flavour is nice, dont want to change it at all but will be using gelatine and filtering on this one to see the difference. The only problem is it has very little head. I have nothing to gauge my kolsch on so dont know if its normal to have little head on a kolsch or not. So can anyone suggest a tweek on the recipe that i have used, what can i add to give it more head while not altering the flavour too much?
The grain bill was as follows,
8.0kg Pilsner malt
.9kg Munich
.6 Wheat
And i used the kolsch liquid yeast, if it makes any difference.
Thanks in advance.

you say you'll be gelatining & filtering it, have you carbonated it yet ? that might just be it,

what was your mash schedule ?

i'm lagering my keg of kolsch that was 100% wey pils 2 step mashed 45mins @ 63 / 30mins @ 72 / mashout @ 76 wlp029

so i am watching this space as i also suspect a lack of head, yet to be confirmed

The beer was forced carbed in kegs about 3-4 weeks ago and is getting pretty clear now. I actually dropped some gelatine in the keg about a week after carbonation and finally checked it today.
I use the BIAB method so it was steeped for 60 mins and boiled for 90 all up.
I have done both a double batch and single batch with this recipe and they both have the same look to it.

Is it a poor head or poor head retention?

Have you carbonated the beer sufficiently?

Are you getting large bubbled foam which dissipates quickly or when you pour through a pluto gun??? are you just not getting any foam at all.

is it kegged or bottled?

If bottled how did you carbonate, quantities etc. How long has it been in the bottle, at what temp, did you shake the bottle etc

If kegged how did you gas it? Is it still under pressure?

Your post is not clear regarding has it indeed finished fermenting? Are you tasting it out of the fermenter?

Recipe wise you could up the wheat to assist in head development and retention but there is alot more you need to tell us.

edit sorry I kind of missed your second post.... if it is forced carbed and not providing head then perhaps it is an infection due to dropping the geletine in??? Otherwise it is a brewing issue.

I make Kolsch and love it - 88% pilsner malt, 12% wheat, kolsch yeast, mash 68, ferment at around 19, force carb and I get a terrific head on it.

Back