Kneebones coffin keezer build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you want it to be quiet, get the biggest fan that will fit, and run it at a slower speed.
a good quality 120mm fan, with a resister in line (speed slowerer) is pretty silent outside a sealed box.

I have 2 of these fans attached to my home theater unit running at full speed.
you can only hear them when you turn the TV off at night and the rest of the house is silent.
http://www.mwave.com.au/product/corsair-air-series-af120-quiet-edition-case-fan-aa16141

this one also comes with a speed slowerer in the box
just make sure you get the 'AF' one, not the 'SP' one, as the SP is designed for direct pushing through heatsinks.

120mm fan seems the go! I've got a speed controller already so i'll just go that path! I'll make a trip to PLE computers on saturday!

Anyone got pics of the inner workings of the font snake ? Could be another HB home build project.

id definitely use the font snake if i had a tower font... I should be able to achieve the cooling i need with just a case fan i would think!

cool, another coffin keezer.. mines mostly built... Very similar set up to your infact.

One word of advice - don't use 2pack epoxy unless you are skilled in it. I did for my glass top and it has set the project back MASSIVELY. It hardened perfectly like glass in some areas and was a sticky mess elsewhere. It's a prick to get off too.

It may stink to high heavens for a short while, but a polyeuro is a much much safer alternative.

Im running the 650ss on mine as well, great piece of kit.

*In relation to the fan, i went to jaycar and got an ultra silent, bearing free long life fan that is damp tolerant. I think it was like 15 bucks. I then have that running to the transformer which also runs my LED strip under the taps. :D

*In relation to the coffin, you can go to bunnings and get adhesive foam roll. It cost about 40 bucks for way too much, but its perfect for lining the coffin to keep the cold in :D

One thing i didn't really consider was the joining of my lid to the freezer lid. In the case of your freezer dying, what are your options? Making it as simple to do a "swap over" as possible, would be great foresight. :D

i need to update my thread - http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/82579-the-lethal-money-brewing-coffin-keezer-build-lots-of-pics/#entry1220163
I'm no cabinet maker ( i am a sparky tho) , but I've learnt a lot building mine so if you have any questions, ask away.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Nice build Leighaus! I really like the partitioned section for the electrical gear and am thinking of goin with the same method, depending on my space.

I took in your advice Re. joining the lid to the counter top and am going to set x4 t nuts and some threaded rod with locking nuts in the top for easy fitting.
tnut.jpg

So with the inlaws heading back home, the project is now full steam ahead again! :beerbang:

I went to bunnings and bought a tile cutter so I could get the counter top dry fitted.
IMG_2626.JPG

So after a few wasted tiles on dodgy cuts I got the hang of it and successfuly cut all the tiles to size.
IMG_2624.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG

As you can see in the photo I've got my splashback tiles aswell, I think i might need the diamond cutter for those ones.

I also received my drip tray from keg king today (also pictured above)

I went with a flush mount 400mm long one to run the full length of the coffin

7728.jpg

I've been shopping around for the Perlicks and am probably going to buy them locally from these guys: http://www.brewmart.com.au/brewmart-shop/catalogue/?detail&ItemID=4562&SZIDX=0&CCODE=167060+650SS&QOH=16&CATID=411&CLN=1&keywords=perlick

Can anyone tell me if this shank will fit the Perlicks?
http://www.brewmart.com.au/brewmart-shop/catalogue/?detail&ItemID=3747&SZIDX=0&CCODE=16564++C276&QOH=1&CATID=411&CLN=1&keywords=shank

The price of the x3 taps are a killer so I'm trying to keep the price down on the shanks.

I'm building the coffin on Saturday so I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and post an update.

-Kneebone

Awesome! Thanks TJ, i ordered x3 650ss taps, x3 90mm shanks and a 3 way gas manifold... Pretty excited for these to turn up!

The font tower shank would have been too short as the coffin wood is 19mm...

I think i'm going to stop tallying up the cost of this project now :p

Keep insulation in mind for shank length. It's also good having a bit of a lump of metal in your coffin to soak up some of the cold, so the longer shanks are good for that.

well the shanks are 90mm so that should provide some extra insulation!

Hey leighaus, do you have any pics of your access panel in the coffin? how did you do it?

I was going to use a couple of hinges and use some foam seals or something.

Kneebone said:
Awesome! Thanks TJ, i ordered x3 650ss taps, x3 90mm shanks and a 3 way gas manifold... Pretty excited for these to turn up!
The font tower shank would have been too short as the coffin wood is 19mm...
I think i'm going to stop tallying up the cost of this project now :p
Kneebone,what gas manifold have you decided upon?
Asking because I have been looking at the John Guest type ,that can be added to as you go in regards to expanding the set up.
And at $ 10.00 per single outlet with a simple plug and play addition,I am favouring this setup.
Cheers.....spog...

I aquired some old sail & anchor tap handles today...
I'm going to modify these and get rid of the rope & gold rings...
With a sand and a restain they will come up a treat!
image.jpg

Kneebone said:
I aquired some old sail & anchor tap handles today...
I'm going to modify these and get rid of the rope & gold rings...
With a sand and a restain they will come up a treat!
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Dunno about getting rid of the rope and rings they look alright to me, but they are yours.
But if you don't want a nautical look I see why.

image.jpg
Here is the gas manifold setup I mentioned earlier.

Yeah i know the ropes look pretty cool, but they are steering away from the look i am going for... I may wait until i get it all built until i modify them...

Now that i am looking at the pic of the manifold i've realised that a mate of mine has that setup on his 2 tap kegerator... Nice and neat and simple!
I've already got the 3 way mani ordered so i'll probably stick with that :D

Latest posts

Back