Knappstein Larger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've arrived at the conclusion that all beer (good beer that is) should be drunk from a glass. Otherwise, just pay for VB and drink from the stubby and be over it.

Goomba

I've found, because I've been drinking bottle conditioned homebrew for so long, I can't enjoy beer from a stubby anymore. It has to be from a glass or I don't get the same enjoyment.

Greg

I've found, because I've been drinking bottle conditioned homebrew for so long, I can't enjoy beer from a stubby anymore. It has to be from a glass or I don't get the same enjoyment.

Greg

I think that is part of the key - we all pour beer into glasses, whether we bottle or keg. We're used to having the aroma of what we are drinking there under our noses.

Given that aroma and the olfactory senses have a signficant bearing on the process of taste (and appreciating hop and malt aroma of beer purely by smell), then we are short changing ourselves by drinking from a bottle.

I never critique a beer unless I've poured it. So if someone gives me something new to try and I can only drink the stubbie, if I'm 50/50 about it, I'll buy it again and pour it.

Goomba

I think that is part of the key - we all pour beer into glasses, whether we bottle or keg. We're used to having the aroma of what we are drinking there under our noses.

I often get strange looks from mates or the mrs when i pick up a glass of beer and just smell it, then put it down again.

I think it's all part of enjoying a good beer.

I often get strange looks from mates or the mrs when i pick up a glass of beer and just smell it, then put it down again.

I think it's all part of enjoying a good beer.

Absolutely. My missus reckons I used to just drink beer, and now I am a beer snob, she doesn't want to drink with me because she's sick of hearing about "hops and crap".

OT - but noting you make a saison - I've never made one, never used a saison yeast, and never drunk one. I got pinged with the weather using windsor and nottingham yeast in summer and producing fusel-crap (fridge obtaining and conversion in progress). Is there anything about the style to note or the yeast use? I'd like to get a beer down soon, and nailing down the sparkie mate to help (I'm not doing the STC1000 myself) is proving a little elusive (he went on holiday, and just got back).

House seems to hover in the mid 20's with the aircon on during the day, but if we go out and leave the aircon off, it can get up hotter.

I'm thinking that if it produces good beer, then it might be a Brisvegan speciality.

Goomba

Given that aroma and the olfactory senses have a signficant bearing on the process of taste (and appreciating hop and malt aroma of beer purely by smell), then we are short changing ourselves by drinking from a bottle.

I never critique a beer unless I've poured it. So if someone gives me something new to try and I can only drink the stubbie, if I'm 50/50 about it, I'll buy it again and pour it.

Goomba

For me its not (just) about aroma, my brain just doesn't activate the pleasure circuits unless the beer comes from a glass. Must be force of habit, reinforced over many years.

Greg

OT - Firstly... go out to Era or Nectar and grab a bottle of Saison Du Pont. Pretty much regarded as the benchmark for the style.

Have a look at Tony's Saison, and ferment hot and long. Should get you something nice, light and clean

My latest Citra Biere de Garde (beer snob warning light = ON) has me sitting there with my nostrils perched on the side of the glass chroming like a streetkid with a fresh aerosol can.

Oh - and I like Nelson, just not so much in a lager. Makes the beer taste like fizzy, weak Sav Blank and a little bit of catpiss. In a big, malty Ale me loves it.

My latest Citra Biere de Garde (beer snob warning light = ON) has me sitting there with my nostrils perched on the side of the glass chroming like a streetkid with a fresh aerosol can.

Oh - and I like Nelson, just not so much in a lager. Makes the beer taste like fizzy, weak Sav Blank and a little bit of catpiss. In a big, malty Ale me loves it.

I agree - same goes with Citra and Pacific Hallertauer. Far better in a pale ale, and I've done nelson in among saaz and others in a brown ale. Works well in small doses and balanced with other hops.

I made a Citra Pale Ale which was just passiona beer. Very nice, mind you, but I made the decision that if I made it again, I'd get a low-mid AA% hop (5-8% AA), bitter up the backbone, but leave the passionfruit flavour additions in place. I think it would balance out well in that case.

I think that the Stone and Wood Pacific Pale Ale gets a bit like that with galaxy, but damn I like it, as girly as that passionfruit may be.

Goomba

Edit: Thanks argon - ferment long and high - should be easy with this weather holding up.

Hey, everybody is entitled to their kinks, okay?
draft_lens8521871module73925871photo_12606727851260612358.jpg

That dog has the same look on its face when you tell someone drinking Crown that it's Fosters.

has me sitting there with my nostrils perched on the side of the glass chroming like a streetkid with a fresh aerosol can.

Such a way with words Nick. I love reading some of your posts... I actually LOL'ed

what a coincidence i brought a 4 pack of this for the first time yesterday so i could drink while watching the footy, and i bloody loved it, it is a really nice well made beer and not overly fruity, was about to do a search for a clone recipe, anyway my 4pack only cost me $14 so cheering :D

4.5kg prem pils
500g pale wheat
200g carapils

NS - 20g/60m
- 15g/30m
- 10g/10m

swiss lager yeast.
Came out very close to original. Just give it a good lagering.

IMO:

this beer tastes like deodorant.

it is basically the same old 20IBU sweet flimsy fizzy yellow stuff. only with extra catpiss.

hops for people who don't like hops, why is it so sweet?

i grant you it's well made for what it intends, blah blah

As a lover of NS, I was quite interested in how I'd take this one......While a lager isn't generally my type of beer, I quite like this. Might have look at smacking out a copy I think.

Well I drunk it,

yeah its nice,,,, I don't think its a larger and I dont think its 18 bucks a four pack.

but overall a nice beer

Well I drunk it,

yeah its nice,,,, I don't think its a larger and I dont think its 18 bucks a four pack.

but overall a nice beer

You dont think it is a lager? Apart from the ridiculous miss-spelling, why would you not think that it is a lager? Wouldn't the fact that it is a lager give it away? Or do you need to decide for yourself?

And was it 18 dollars for a four pack? I'm confused.

Latest posts

Back