Knappstein Larger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
A mate of mine came around to sample some of my home brews and left me with a Knappstein larger he mentioned that it was about $18 a four pack,,,

its in my fridge waiting to be drunk,,, any one else tried it?

Haven't had one in a while but it used to be one of my favourite commercial beers. Very good pilsner, as long as you like Nelson Sauvin hops.

A mate of mine came around to sample some of my home brews and left me with a Knappstein larger he mentioned that it was about $18 a four pack,,,

He must be crazy - paying good money for beer. Beer is meant to be as cheap as possible, right?

I'm sure you told him that he could get beer much cheeper than that. Especially larger.

He must be crazy - paying good money for beer. Beer is meant to be as cheap as possible, right?

I'm sure you told him that he could get beer much cheeper than that. Especially larger.

It cost more cause it was larger.

Very nice beer indeed... I am biased though. I love Nelson Sauvin!

Only one way to find out though hey ;)

How much do you expect to pay for craft beer ? I have been known to grab a 6-pack for $27 of Holgate, Ekim or other Australian beers from time to time. Not really a big deal considering how much a homebrewer saves on beer through the year.

If you want the biggest bang for your buck, buy a carton of VB.

I think it's a terrible beer, then agian, Lagers have to be pretty damn good for me to like them, and this one isn't...

It is one of my staples. Everyone I know, even the VB drinkers (I sometimes let them in my house) love it. Very aromatic.

"Knappstein Larger"
... than what?

They probably make it with rice Gulls as well.

gulls.jpeg

Best Australian made lager I have tried to date. Love it!!

Cheers

Love this beer. They've been lighthanded enough with the use of Nelson Sauvin that it doesn't taste like bitter wine.

Lots of aroma, and nice and malty.

I've arrived at the conclusion that all beer (good beer that is) should be drunk from a glass. Otherwise, just pay for VB and drink from the stubby and be over it.

And $18 a four pack is exxy.

Goomba

$18 for a 4 pack seems comparable with other craft beers from similar breweries. Moorilla Estate (A Winery) in Tassie sells its exceptional beers in 4 packs for aroun $18-$20 too. Well at least that's the average price once it hits the shops.

Huge fan of knappstein.

The main hop in it is Nelson Sauvin which is also my favourite hop.

Awesome beer, and $18 for four is about right.

Depends how much value you place on 50 cents per drink :)

The way I look at it, my local pub sells VB schooners for $4.70.

A takeaway 330ml bottle of hand-crafted Australian beer drank at home for $4.50 is more satisfying, and cheaper than the pub !

Nelson in a lager is like putting a skirt on a dog. :D

Who are they "reserving" it for? More marketing bullshit. Might as well have called it "Grange Lager" - sounds even more posh.

For that price, I'll buy Urquell.

909602_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832241223.jpg

I remember writing once that Nelson polarises people. Nick is at the opposite end of the scale to me.

I personally hate POR - each to their own, really.

For those that like NS, this lager is a decent example of it (though I reckon my pale ale is a better example really and cheaper).

But I wouldn't call it a lager, it tastes like a pale ale and I do agree that the labelling is a bit pretentious (as is the 4 pack).

As for the price - I have 3 Dan's and a Liquor Savers (plus many BWS/Liquorland/Vintage Cellars, etc smaller mass owned bottle-oes and some independents) nearby - competition is fierce. Hell I can get a 6 pack of imported Belgian Stella 500m away for $17.99 per six pack, should I want to.

Goomba

I love NS, still dislike the beer though. I agree with Nick, just doesn't click for me

Back