KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copied from the other topic where KK explained their China procurement policy and spoke about the cost of too;ling etc for this product

The Fermentasaurus product is just about to hit the market and this production line to make these has been over 1.5mil alone to setup this business and none of it was from Alibaba. I think i can honestly say that we have spent more money on new product design and development than any other Home Brew Hardware wholesaler in Australia which is why there are a lot of new products that we have made and heaps more that are in the pipeline.

If the going price is to be under $150 as posted a number of times in these topic threads then they are going to have to sell thousands and thousands of them just to recover their development costs or the price will be substantially higher than what people are expecting/hoping to pay for them.

Wobbly

wobbly said:
Copied from the other topic where KK explained their China procurement policy and spoke about the cost of too;ling etc for this product

The Fermentasaurus product is just about to hit the market and this production line to make these has been over 1.5mil alone to setup this business and none of it was from Alibaba. I think i can honestly say that we have spent more money on new product design and development than any other Home Brew Hardware wholesaler in Australia which is why there are a lot of new products that we have made and heaps more that are in the pipeline.

If the going price is to be under $150 as posted a number of times in these topic threads then they are going to have to sell thousands and thousands of them just to recover their development costs or the price will be substantially higher than what people are expecting/hoping to pay for them.

Wobbly
The same machine also makes PET kegs which seem to be the primary focus of the http://www.oxebar.com.au/ website. I'd say that's their main market and the fermenters are a nice side project.

wobbly said:

Wobbly
Well it's not like they're limited to the Australian market. I'm sure they could sell heaps to the yanks.

wobbly said:

Wobbly
This isn't the only product coming off that same production line They will also be producing 30L and 50L PET kegs, I note no Noise around those for the HB market, so I'm guessing with the light weight low cost benefits these will be hitting the craft scene and where KK will be making their real money from the venture,

And over the next couple of years if the first one I get works as well as I expect, then I'd collect more than 2 or 3.

malt junkie said:
This isn't the only product coming off that same production line They will also be producing 30L and 50L PET kegs, I note no Noise around those for the HB market, so I'm guessing with the light weight low cost benefits these will be hitting the craft scene and where KK will be making their real money from the venture,

And over the next couple of years if the first one I get works as well as I expect, then I'd collect more than 2 or 3.
Man I would buy a tonne if they would make some 25L!

Just checked it out and to me looks good, I am intrigued but will wait to see what the price is to see the value.

OT: If your fermentation fridge had a tap on it, wouldn't this more or less do the same thing as a WilliamsWarn?

Saw one in action at Grain and Grape in Yarraville this week. I was quite impressed. I think I'll be buying two after vintage.

$130 at grain and grape.

Not sure it's really worth it as I have doubts on durability.

Does it actually off much over a bucket fermenter? Does it make beer better?

I wonder what the 50L model (assuming that they will make one) will be cost wise. Atm with the fermenter started kit is $130 and the pressure kit being $40 .The kegmenter seems to be alot better value at $100 more and stainless. Suppose the only downside is that you can't see the active ferment..
I wonder if they will lower the cost of the 30ish liter one in time??

I thought about these and for me they would be a logisitcal nightmate, I brew in my kitchen as I dont have gas or water in the garage, I then fill the fermentor and transport it to the garage, carrying a 23L plastic bucket to the garage is fun on its own, add the weight of glass and the risk of damaging it then it would be even worse, once in the garage the fermentor is placed into my fermenting fridge, again I think the space required for this and the stand would be touch and go to get it in, finally when its fermented and you want to chill and serve then again due to size it would severley limit the number of cornys that can fit into the fridge.

Just some things to bear in mind. Nice idea just not convinced by the practicalities of it.

BTW I got email from IKegger spruiking these the other day so I suspect they are now freely available.

Just noticed its actually not glass, its 'Fermenter Body: High Molecular Length PET' but would still be interested to know if thats a lot heavier than your typical plastic bucket fermentor.

Leyther said:
Just noticed its actually not glass, its 'Fermenter Body: High Molecular Length PET' but would still be interested to know if thats a lot heavier than your typical plastic bucket fermentor.
It is basically a big coke bottle, it would be as light as a feather.

Bought one of these. Haven't fermented in it yet but here are some things I've noticed that may not be obvious.

There is an attachment spigot that you screw onto the bottom of the valve. You can then push on a silicon hose for draining the beer.
There are wire carry handles built in.
No thermowell but I plan on taking a square of stubby holder and sandwiching a temp probe between the wire stand and the fermenter body.
Has a use by date on the pressurized use printed on the body. After this it's recommended to be tested or not used under pressure. Not sure where to get it tested.
Comes with a stick on volume marker and temperature strip.
Screw on bottle is also pressure rated so you can keep the butterfly valve open and let the yeast drop in.

Even though it's early, quite happy with it so far. Hopefully the experience of using it is good enough so that I can dump my various fermenters collecting in the garage.

You'd think, considering the huge number of KegMate fridges they have sold and will continue to sell, that they would have come up with something that would fit into one? Shorter and squatter?
I'd really like one but no way in a fit am I going to shell out an extra grand for a purpose made cabinet.

professional_drunk said:
Has a use by date on the pressurized use printed on the body. After this it's recommended to be tested or not used under pressure. Not sure where to get it tested.
How long is the rating? on your second point KegKing have said in another thread that the replacement body will only be ~$40

KegKing said:
The body of the fermenter is however eventually going to wear out and this can be replaced for AUD$39.95 so it's not expensive to replace if it's damaged for whatever reason. I think they will last most home brewers several years before needing to be replaced.

Bribie G said:
You'd think, considering the huge number of KegMate fridges they have sold and will continue to sell, that they would have come up with something that would fit into one? Shorter and squatter?
I'd really like one but no way in a fit am I going to shell out an extra grand for a purpose made cabinet.

They're bringing out a new fridge shaped to fit these Fermentasauruses. The fridge will be able to heat and cool. But I'm not expecting it to be cheap.

I will need to check the dimensions of my fridge , which I only use when it is hot , to see if it will fit in

of course will need to find out the dimensions of the Fermentasauruses

Latest posts

Back