KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
these are pretty sexy, I'll probably get one.

bradsbrew said:
Not being able to clean with boiling water is a killer for me.
I thought that would be an issue when I first got a couple of Better Bottles (they're PET), but an overnight soak with napisan or PBW takes care of it. More stubborn krausen gets an extra day.

Im sure they could but I would expect a pressure ferment would then be out of the question.

malt junkie said:
I'd be willing to try though it maybe $40 down the drain.
This is an optional accessory so I cant see why not.
http://www.oxebar.com.au/fermentasaurus/ 9272-Fermentasaurus-Rotating-Rack-Arm-1024x1024.jpg

Gash Slugg has a unboxing video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5koXMMyCrI&sns=em

I wonder if they've considered the effect of light on the beer given that it's a clear fermenter.

crowmanz said:
How long is the rating? on your second point KegKing have said in another thread that the replacement body will only be ~$40
Mine is dated 18/7/2019 so roughly 2.5 years

Picked mine up yesterday and am stoked.
The possibilities this thing offers are endless.
Easy re use of yeast.
Pressure transfer to keg
Dispense straight from fermenter
Easy dry hop

Time will tell

professional_drunk said:
Yep. Finished one batch, onto my next.
Really like this. Am considering dumping all my other fermenters.
Did you get much sediment sticking to the sides?

Do you think you were able to bottle/keg more (less lost to trub) than your old fermenters?

sbowler said:
Did you get much sediment sticking to the sides?

Do you think you were able to bottle/keg more (less lost to trub) than your old fermenters?
A little bit. Most went into the bottle catcher thing.

Definitely. I'm using the pressure kit so it draws beer from the top which is bloody awesome. I used to use better bottles and drawing turbulence resuspends the stuff at the bottom. The conical bottom helps too.

If you buy one of these, I reckon the pressure kit and a spunding valve are mandatory buys.

sbowler said:
The catalyst is similar but I don't think you can ferment under pressure?
Not sure, but don't think so. What advantage are you looking for by fermenting under pressure?

I'd go catalyst if the choice was between that and the standard fermentasaurus. Having different size jar catchers would be good. It also looks more sturdy.
But add the pressure kit and top draining capability, I'd choose the fermentasaurus.

Thanks Liam. It seems the perceived benefits are lower ester production & cleaner flavours.

Recently John Blichmann did an experiment of fermenting the same Pilsner wort in normal conditions at lager temps vs pressurised ferment at higher temps (to test the ester/fusels hypothesis), the tasters unmanimously identified the higher temp pressurised beer in a blind triangle test. It was on Brewstrong pod. Their comments were that while it was a nice beer it had a fruitiness that you don't get from typical crisp pilsners.

Latest posts

Back