KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lager Bloke said:
Can only see that pressure relief valve is rated @35psi-was under the impression that 22psi was top end of the range that yeast was viable-above that and there was a chance of killing yeast which increased the higher the pressure went-my 2c's worth
You will still need to use a spunding Valve when pressure fermenting.

BrutusB said:
I've asked the question. I'd be hoping it's >4". Don't expect a reply as they're closed but will let you know what I find out.
KK have replied 'It's similar to a corny keg..Don't have exact dimensions as we're closed and on holiday but can check after the 9th'

Sounds like cleaning shouldn't be an issue.

Lager Bloke said:
was under the impression that 22psi was top end of the range that yeast was viable-above that and there was a chance of killing yeast which increased the higher the pressure went-my 2c's worth
This is one of those things that seems to be endlessly repeated but doesn't appear to have a basis in facts.

Increasing the CO2 pressure will slow yeast growth, mostly due to the increased solubility of CO2. The pressure at which growth is effectively stopped varies with yeast strain and conditions, the lowest I could find quoted in a reliable source was 300 kPa, on the other hand the yeasts used in MC wines survive at 500 - 600 kPa.

Fermentation doesn't stop when the yeast stops growing in these conditions but the slower growth will mean less yeast and slower fermentation. This is, BTW, the effect you are exploiting in the first place: the slower growth reduces the demand for lipid synthesis, since ester production is tied to lipid synthesis it is also reduced.

The pressure effect can be partially alleviated by feeding the yeast with an organic nitrogen supplement. It can also be alleviated by preconditioning the yeast: yeast grown under moderate pressure will adapt to higher pressures faster.

sp0rk said:
Yeah, I know PET is less oxygen permeable than HDPE, but for the ability to no chill in, I'll be sticking with HDPE or Stainless :/
an SS Chronical or DIY kegmenter is looking like my best choice

It's a pull type relief valve like on cornies, you can't set individual pressures
The prv intended purpose is to prevent the fv becoming a bomb.

Rod said:
I think I can work out how there is no need to rack

can you bulk prime , assuming you still need to bottle which can lead to irregular or uneven carbonation )

looks good and the need to man handle (lift) racked fermentors which can be heavy

will wait for the video

HI Brutus ,

back at work yet

Rod

Looks pretty cool, but, for us lowly bottlers, I can't see a tap for your bottling wand. Come to think of it, where do you get gravity samples from?

Matplat said:
Looks pretty cool, but, for us lowly bottlers, I can't see a tap for your bottling wand. Come to think of it, where do you get gravity samples from?
If you're pressure fermenting: a pluto gun off the liquid ball lock

Otherwise: after removing the sediment bottle( you need to close the tap before doing this) take sample from base, I dare say they'll include a barb connection for transfers from the same point.

If you time your sediment bottle changes well, you'll have the easiest trub free yeast harvesting ever.

Rod said:
HI Brutus ,

back at work yet

Rod
Hey Rod - I think you're confused that I work for KK, I don't. Sorry. Although, the staff discount would be nice :)

looks like nobody is back at work

or has not read the topic and can answer the questions

Rod said:
looks like nobody is back at work

or has not read the topic and can answer the questions
I don't think they're a sponsor therefore they aren't allowed to post.

the fermenter looks good

but , I bulk prime and bottle and need to know if this fermenter will do this

KK responded in another thread regarding their sourcing in China, and the quality control steps that entails, he also touched of the R&D and production of this particular product, and that it was being produced here in Australia on their own new specific production line.

No I can't remember the specific thread or I'd link.

From what he stated in that thread, a lot of problems in days past have been from Manufacturers going off script, and trying to rip a couple of cents a unit more for themselves. KK now have a facility in China where ALL their goods are inspected for quality prior to being ship down under.

Not a fan boy and I have no affiliation, but from what KK have stated, you'd have to say they have gone to great lengths, to try and sort their quality control issues, I don't think we can ask more than that from a supplier.

And lets face it, this is new manufacturing taking place here in Australia, I say we get behind it.

malt junkie said:
KK responded in another thread regarding their sourcing in China, and the quality control steps that entails, he also touched of the R&D and production of this particular product, and that it was being produced here in Australia on their own new specific production line.

No I can't remember the specific thread or I'd link.

From what he stated in that thread, a lot of problems in days past have been from Manufacturers going off script, and trying to rip a couple of cents a unit more for themselves. KK now have a facility in China where ALL their goods are inspected for quality prior to being ship down under.

Not a fan boy and I have no affiliation, but from what KK have stated, you'd have to say they have gone to great lengths, to try and sort their quality control issues, I don't think we can ask more than that from a supplier.

And lets face it, this is new manufacturing taking place here in Australia, I say we get behind it.
I've been a big detractor of KK for quite a while due to shoddy products, but with recent improvements, I'm certainly changing my opinion of them.
currently considering buying some Intertap taps...

Still not going to be sold until mid February, I, like warra 48 would like to know the life expectancy of the vessel, looks a bit flimsy but a replacement shouldn't be too expensive.

Back