KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the snub nose today, I would have got a fermentasaurus sooner except hey wouldn't fit under the shelf in the fermenting room, now I know they fit will be be able to get another 4. Was thinking of fitting a tap but they come with the pressure kit, so I can do pressure transfers. Bloody cheap too $75 each or 2 for $140. Be able to get rid of my HDPE fermenters now.
002.JPG

Got the snub nose today, I would have got a fermentasaurus sooner except hey wouldn't fit under the shelf in the fermenting room, now I know they fit will be be able to get another 4. Was thinking of fitting a tap but they come with the pressure kit, so I can do pressure transfers. Bloody cheap too $75 each or 2 for $140. Be able to get rid of my HDPE fermenters now.
View attachment 115140

I don't quite understand the point of this vessel. It's basically got a conical bottom but no valve so you cant dump anything out of the cone. That's the main benefit of a cone in the first place.

Then the handles on the stand are upside down so it's not possible to lift easily or ergonomically.

As this container has no benefit of being a conical vessel why not just ferment in a 19L ball lock keg that's even more compact. You can ferment in a second hand keg or a brand new keg if you want to spend a bit more money.

Why does this product exist? Who designed this product and who thought this was a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does this product exist? Who designed this product and who thought this was a good idea?

I'll start off by saying that I buy stuff from KegLand, KegKing and my LHBS, so I don't lean any particular way.

You may have a few valid points here and that's fine, but flat out bashing a competitors product/design team under your company's account, in my opinion, is a little poor form. As the old adage goes, there's a time and a place.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare and highlight the advantages of your company's product, in your company's thread?

But hey, that's just my two cents.

I'll start off by saying that I buy stuff from KegLand, KegKing and my LHBS, so I don't lean any particular way.

You may have a few valid points here and that's fine, but flat out bashing a competitors product/design team under your company's account, in my opinion, is a little poor form. As the old adage goes, there's a time and a place.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare and highlight the advantages of your company's product, in your company's thread?

Hey I'm like you as in i buy things all over the place as we don't have a real LHBS in the Mornington Peninsula. But it would seem that someone posted about the Snubby in Keglands account so in my opinion its open to comment particularly from Kegland as its under their account, if you know what i mean. I also thought they pointed out a few things that would help in making a decision around purchasing a FV.

I don't quite understand the point of this vessel. It's basically got a conical bottom but no valve so you cant dump anything out of the cone. That's the main benefit of a cone in the first place.

Then the handles on the stand are upside down so it's not possible to lift easily or ergonomically.

As this container has no benefit of being a conical vessel why not just ferment in a 19L ball lock keg that's even more compact. You can ferment in a second hand keg like this for $44 or a brand new keg if you want to spend a bit more money.

Lifts easily by the top rim, handle can be easily switched thats no biggie, fits into most fridges, still harvest the yeast, watch the yeast and can comfortably fit 23 litres. And the main point for me as I can fit a row in my cool room under the shelf.
The price is good, and $25 for a replacement body.

They're probably also sick of seeing post after post from a user like WEAL that are just blatant advertising for KK. I'd prefer to see a business clearly posting from their own account rather than shadow posting through another account, or running some sort of shady 'we'll give you stuff cheap/free if you flog it on AHB/social media, but we won't tell anyone about our relationship and neither should you' deal.

Also, I don't really see a problem with them pointing out the deficiencies in the product. They're absolutely correct that its pretty pointless to have a conical that you can't dump from (defeats the whole purpose of the conical shape) and it does look hard to lift. KK should be more than welcome to defend their product as well (instead of letting their shadow poster do it for them).
What sort of world do you live in where businesses shouldn't be allowed to criticize a competitor's product in a public forum? They're not unnecessarily doing so, as they are all very relevant points

After brewing with a pro brewer one of the main pieces of advice he gave was to get the beer off the yeast as soon as fermentation ends. He does this by ph measurements. As soon as it's complete he dumps the spent yeast.

I can't see how the stubby will allow for that procedure.

I'll be waiting for the mk2 or if I can get the coin, I'll go for a SS conical

After brewing with a pro brewer one of the main pieces of advice he gave was to get the beer off the yeast as soon as fermentation ends. He does this by ph measurements. As soon as it's complete he dumps the spent yeast.

I can't see how the stubby will allow for that procedure.

I'll be waiting for the mk2 or if I can get the coin, I'll go for a SS conical
Easy to transfer into the secondary which is what I generally do, the handles clip off and clip back on again, no tools needed.

They're probably also sick of seeing post after post from a user like WEAL that are just blatant advertising for KK. I'd prefer to see a business clearly posting from their own account rather than shadow posting through another account, or running some sort of shady 'we'll give you stuff cheap/free if you flog it on AHB/social media, but we won't tell anyone about our relationship and neither should you' deal.

Surmising can never lead to any good. Allowing Keg King to be a sponsor would be good as it is they have tried several times to become a sponsor without reply. Surely if Keg King wanted someone to advertise they would do it through one of the retailers who are sponsors on here, cut a deal with them.
I have posted in a legitimate thread for a product which suits me, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, and what is that I have been receiving for free?

Keep in mind that (if I'm reading it correctly) that is in a commercial setting - the hydrostatic pressure on the yeast in the cone in a big conical is wayyy higher than that which is exerted on the yeast in our humble homebrewing scale conicals. Therefore the need to get the yeast out of there is not present. Also consider that the pressure in the bigger tanks results in the yeast producing less esters and undesirable compounds, reducing conditioning time.
A lot of homebrewers aren't pitching enough/taking care of their yeast well enough, and need to keep the yeast in there for a little bit past terminal gravity to allow for conditioning/clean up of VDKs, therefore also meaning that dumping the yeast ASAP may not serve them well.

Fitted taps to Fermentasaurus, pressure tested to 120 kpa got the first brew in this morning, will connect up to secondary via gas posts. Not doing a pressure ferment just collecting gas for oxygen free transfer.
001.JPG

Latest posts

Back