KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any benefit to that style tap over the ball valves most people put in? Or you just had it laying around?

How’d you get your arm down there to hold the back nut?

Used some multi-grips, I did buy a 'C' spanner that fitted in the slots, had a few drinks and mislaid it. Multi- grips fitted perfectly, the back washer was the fiddliest bit.
Did notice when I bought mine another guy who bought 2 units also bought the dump valves and collection bottles. Just looked at the pricing he has bought 2 complete fermentasaurus for $220 as opposed to $340, big saving just for drilling out the base for the dump valve. Happy with what I got will easily fit into the fridge for crash cooling.

Looks like you may have positioned the sample taps a bit low, no?

My initial thoughts were the same, that the positioning of the where to drill guide could have been a bit low and I wasn't going to drill until I had used the fermenter. But the last 5 brews I have used the immersion chiller and dumped all the cold break. I transferred the the first of the 5 brews into a cask and when I saw how small the amount of trub was I was confident I could drill the holes for the tap.
Also because of the angle of the bottom of the cone the other end of the tap is pointing up about another 15 to 20 mm on the inside.

I also think a conical that you can’t dump or harvest yeast from is completely pointless.

Just thinking, what is the diameter of the cone below the tap? Is it about the same or smaller than the top opening?

Wonder how hard it would be to make a yeast harvesting accessory for these. Something like a long handled soup ladle that fitted snugly in the bottom of the cone and could be lifted out through the top?

Obviously would need to open the fermented to get to it so wouldn’t suit oxygen free transfer fans.

That's the price they are advertised at, with ball lock lids. What I would be wondering is do they have more versions of Fermentasaurus to be released.

I ordered 2 units at at the weekend how hard is it to get the washer on the inside of the unit?

If you are any good on those claw cranes it isn't a problem, if you are going to pressure ferment I really would advise on the s/steel ball valve with the racking arm, but just go easy on the pressure, just use it to carbonate.

Another plus for the snub nose, no Butterfly valve to leak .:) Transferred from primary to secondary after five 5 days harvested the yeast and washed, will leave for another 5 days and then cold crash. Surprised how easy the fermentasaurus is to clean, just a swirl with some warm water and sodium perborate clean as a whistle.
001.JPG 002.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG

Picked up a fermentasaurus today, leaky dump valve.

I plan on fixing or just sacrificing whatever leaks into a second container after taking the yeast filled first container. Up to 500ml I guess

Suggested fix here - https://keg-king.com.au/Downloads/Fermentasaurus dump valve 1.0 leak fix (2).pdf
I had problems with leaks on my first Fermentasaurus, the second one I bought had the mark 2 butterfly valve never had a problem with that one so bought the mark 2 valve to fit onto my first saurus.

I also think a conical that you can’t dump or harvest yeast from is completely pointless.

Just thinking, what is the diameter of the cone below the tap? Is it about the same or smaller than the top opening?

Wonder how hard it would be to make a yeast harvesting accessory for these. Something like a long handled soup ladle that fitted snugly in the bottom of the cone and could be lifted out through the top?

Obviously would need to open the fermented to get to it so wouldn’t suit oxygen free transfer fans.
Lots of people don’t dump yeast and for that price what is to lose???

If you are any good on those claw cranes it isn't a problem, if you are going to pressure ferment I really would advise on the s/steel ball valve with the racking arm, but just go easy on the pressure, just use it to carbonate.
Having a problem getting the back washer on WEAL, what is the trick to this?

Having a problem getting the back washer on WEAL, what is the trick to this?

As you can see they are a fairly tight fit, gently stretch the washer until it fits over easily, a piece of wire bent at no more than 90 degrees, slip the washer over the thread and push on using the tool for the nut pull out the wire and position the nut. I bought 2 more units, at first regretted putting a stout into the fermentasaurus but transferred to secondary and cleaned up easily. Really impressed how easily these units clean up.
002.JPG

They're probably also sick of seeing post after post from a user like WEAL that are just blatant advertising for KK. I'd prefer to see a business clearly posting from their own account rather than shadow posting through another account, or running some sort of shady 'we'll give you stuff cheap/free if you flog it on AHB/social media, but we won't tell anyone about our relationship and neither should you' deal.

Also, I don't really see a problem with them pointing out the deficiencies in the product. They're absolutely correct that its pretty pointless to have a conical that you can't dump from (defeats the whole purpose of the conical shape) and it does look hard to lift. KK should be more than welcome to defend their product as well (instead of letting their shadow poster do it for them).
What sort of world do you live in where businesses shouldn't be allowed to criticize a competitor's product in a public forum? They're not unnecessarily doing so, as they are all very relevant points

What sort of world do you live in where businesses shouldn't be allowed to criticize a competitor's product in a public forum? They're not unnecessarily doing so, as they are all very relevant points“

Yes that is very sad. After seeing yours and others post I rang KK and asked them why they never answer things on the forums here. They said that they have tried to sponsor a thread for a long time but it is being denied them and that emails to the forum owners go unanswered. So its all a bit lopsided on here when only one side and its supporters have pretty much a free run and just keep on with misinformation. Would make for a much better forum if both sides were allowed to present their ideas and arguments.

Latest posts

Back