Kiwi Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im heading to the South Island of NZ for Easter. Im doing a far bit of driving but plan on sampling some of the local beers. Im heading down to the lower half of the island (Queenstown, Milford Sound and the Glaciers) and am wondering on the quality of beer. ANy brands I should look out for? I have had Montieths here and Macs lager just thought I might ask in case others have had good experiences.
Cheers
Aches

3 boys is AWESOME! comes out of Christchurch but you might me able to find it down at QT...

I'd definitely look out for some of the Epic beers and see if you can get your hands on a Moa Noir. Other than that I'd also suggest trying some of the other Macs beers like the sassy red and hop rocker.

I really liked Renaissance's MIIPA. Dunno where about they're based.

+1 Three Boys

I'd recommend making your way to Dux De Lux in either Christchurch or Queenstown, as they usually have a good regular line-up with some nice seasonals. Wanaka Beer Works has a nice black lager and Invercargill Brewery do a good stout. There's also a relatively new brewery in Arrowtown (near Queenstown) called Arrow Brewing Co., but I haven't been there since it opened. Then there's the Speights and Monteiths ale houses around the place, which can be worth a look in.

Mmm, thinking I might have to get over there again soon after writing that out :icon_drool2: It really is a great part of the world for local beers!

Cheers,
Kris.

The Speights brewery tour in Dunedin http://www.thealehouse.co.nz/tour.html was a great night out for us. After the tour you get to sample the 5 or 6 beers they make http://www.thealehouse.co.nz/beer.html. My favorite is the speight's Distinction. When we were there 2 years ago it was a very new beer that we had trouble finding even in the Speights bars all over the country.

I was told by the guide that the best tour is the last, as they dont rush you out the door before the next tour group appear. When she said that I hit the taps hard for ten minutes and nobody said anything.

After the tour we went and got smashed under the brewery in the bar/resturant in which they give a discount after doing the tour. Nice food too. We thought we would start with the garlic loaf and were very supprised that it was just that, a full loaf of fresh bread with garlic butter.

Also if you are going to the north island I know of a bowling club in New Plymouth that has 500ml beers on tap for around $2.30 aussie served to you by someone more drunk than you. Who also when he spills your beer on the counter after pouring it, lets you finish it before refilling it for free. When I asked how you got a job there I was told no one worked there. Who ever was closest to the bar and not paying served. So if there was only two of you, you took turns serving.

I love NZ.

+1, you wont be dissapointed.
And find some Emmersons...and in Christchurch , buy some take-aways from Harringtons...cheap as bro... and the Ngairie Gold is a lovely drop....bought so much w, we had to give it away lol

Awesome replies! Thanks for the response I am absolutely pumped for the holiday. I have written down all of the suggestions and will give as many a go as I can. I think drinking the local beer is one of the most rewarding parts of travel, NZ sounds like it is going to be a ripper.
Cheers
Aches

+1 Three Boys

...................................seasonals. Wanaka Beer Works has a nice black lager ........................................................
Kris.

Wouldn't want to say that too fast B)

Also.... this is a bit weird but. If you go to the Wanaka beer works, you can have a few at the small bar they have there and then run /stumble across the road to a little place called 'Have a Shot'. There, you can do clay pidgeon shooting, grab a 45cal pistol and blow some rounds down the range etc.

Cheers - Mike

Back