A man, his wife and their toddler go to NZ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mckenry said:
Pm me so I see it tomorrow when I'm sober. Did the South Island in a camper van with two teenagers. Heaps of tips for you.
Did two teenagers in a camper van in the South Island.
I too can give you some tips.

Speights Ale House for a bloody good feed and fresh beers, Dux de Lux in Christchurch and Queenstown.
As suggested before Milford Sound which is fantastic,Mackenzie lakes with Mount Cook in the back ground is speccy.
In Queenstown take the cable car ride to the top of the mount the views are well worth it,you do mini Bungey jumps in a chair ,para glide to the bottom or as I did have a go on the Luge, hadn't had so much fun in years and that was on the begginers run.
Wanaka war birds museum if your lucky they might be flying,I watch the P51 Mustang fire up and take off...fark me it sounded like a hundred Harley's roaring down the highway.
The Cardronna pub is in the area iirc, and the " pantie fence " for a laugh,if it's still there.

yum beer said:
Did two teenagers in a camper van in the South Island.
I too can give you some tips.
Whilst this sounds like a whole lot of fun, I can see a sticking point with the wife on this one...

The missus just told me the " fence " is actually the bra fence,it did have panties added but apparently they were removed because of complaints.

spog said:
The missus just told me the " fence " is actually the bra fence,it did have panties added but apparently they were removed because of complaints.
Damn do-gooders. Some people have just got too much time on their hands. Good morning world, what can we be outraged about today?

Fraser's BRB said:
Whilst this sounds like a whole lot of fun, I can see a sticking point with the wife on this one...
Also depending on which side of 8 the teen bit is attached might prove a sticking point with the law.

Just a warning for you. Seems they don't accept a driver's licence as ID in NZ, you need a passport. I'm 33 and have a full beard and just got refused purchase of a $10 bottle of Moa sour at the supermarket.

Rambo said:
Just a warning for you. Seems they don't accept a driver's licence as ID in NZ, you need a passport. I'm 33 and have a full beard and just got refused purchase of a $10 bottle of Moa sour at the supermarket.
Amazing ! Seems that common sense is lacking in the person who refused you service.

To be fair, as part of my job I photograph schoolboy Rugby teams and have come across some old looking 17 year olds (especially the Kiwis).

Back to beer in NZ. Just spent a few hours at a great bar in Christchurch. Called Atlas, near the boat wharf, on the Glenorchy side of town. Great staff, good food, and great beers... About 20 odd taps in total and a good arrangement, everything from Baltic Porter to pilsners. And a great view. There was a young goat there too, don't really know why.

Oops, must have had a few too many...I meant Queenstown.

I didn't go much on Queenstown, touristy and expensive. Get out of there as fast as possible. Wanaka is nice.

Agreed, had a much better time in Wanaka.

Pomeroy's in Christchurch is a great pub. Ended up there a couple of times.

After doing a loop of the island and ending up in Nelson, the wife didn't want to move from there for a few days. So sunny and nice. The Free House is a brilliant pub and worth a couple of visits. Sprig and fern isn't bad either.

As for breweries, I didn't make it to many. Ended up in one in Invercargil (probably called Invercargil Brewing). They said they contract brewed all the yeastie boys beers, so I could pick up a couple of them from there, along with Invercargil's own beers. Nothing special but there's nothing else to do in town so it was good to pop in and pick up a couple of beers for the campervan.

Just remembered Renaissance Brewing in Marlborough. Awesome lineup of their own beers there. The whole wine region is really worth your time.

Wherever you go, buy a paddle. That way there's one the right size for the toddler.

Have a crack at the worlds steepest suburban street in Dunedin,can't remember it's name but fark me its steep.

Latest posts

Back