Kit Yeasts Revisited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly off topic, but I been reading the How To Brew book and the part about re-hydrating and proofing yeast to see if it's still alive and kicking. I guess that could be useful for kit yeast that may have been sitting around for ages.

In the book it states that "Lallemand/Danstar does not recommend proofing after rehydration of their yeast because they have optimized their yeast's nutrional reserves for quick starting in the main wort. Proofing expends some of those reserves."

Has anyone tried this with kit yeast and had any issues with it? Or is it fine for the majority of the time?

You really shouldn't have to proof dry yeast unless you think there is a very real chance it's been rooted (e.g. Put in the microwave by a child). I've used yeast from old supermarket kits etc and never had a problem.

As said, "proofing" makes the yeast work and you want them as fresh as possible in the beer. Rehydration is always a good idea though.

I'm actually quite a fan of both of the common Australian dried yeasts (Mauri 514 and 497) and find it quite amusing that they get sold as premium imports in other countries and get the snot bagged out of them here.

+1 for the 497. Made a couple of nice garage lagers this winter and still have about a dozen bottles left. IMHO it's better than the S-23.

This is actually a good read...I have used nothing but Coopers kit yeast...I did notice a BIG difference in smell when I used the Coopers Selection Stout yeast (I'm assuming they use a stout specific yeast)

Would I be correct in thinking the Tooheys Kits use a different yeast to the Coopers Kits? I have not had a good run with Tooheys Kits and the only two ones I have done have turned out below average beers but every single Coopers kit have been fantastic!

This is actually a good read...I have used nothing but Coopers kit yeast...I did notice a BIG difference in smell when I used the Coopers Selection Stout yeast (I'm assuming they use a stout specific yeast)

Would I be correct in thinking the Tooheys Kits use a different yeast to the Coopers Kits? I have not had a good run with Tooheys Kits and the only two ones I have done have turned out below average beers but every single Coopers kit have been fantastic!

The yeast in the Tooheys kit would be a different yeast (coopers use their own yeast in the kits AFAIK), but would be an ok strain for the purpose, however it is the viability which is the issue. I imagine the Coopers kits get turned over fairly regularly so the yeast is a little fresher, with more cells still alive. The Tooheys kit on the other hand has probably sat on the shelf for an extended period of time which really knocks the yeast about. That, and it has probably been moved from a hot warehouse, to the back of a truck to the shops god knows how many times.

Yeast are tough little buggers, but there is a limit to how much abuse they can handle.

This is a key point that some people seem to miss.

"I live in the middle of nowhere so I don't have any access to special yeast etc. I looked into buying some online but damn it's expensive, especially once you factor in postage."

I hear what your saying but have you tried making yeast from a bottle of coopers(I'm sure you can get cooper where you are )
or buying a wyeast smack pack and farming the yeast (slants or splitting ) ends up being cheaper then using dried yeast
;)

The Big Experiment is for someone to report on the homebrand kit yeast(s) :rolleyes:

I hear what your saying but have you tried making yeast from a bottle of coopers(I'm sure you can get cooper where you are )
or buying a wyeast smack pack and farming the yeast (slants or splitting ) ends up being cheaper then using dried yeast
;)

I haven't tried reculturing Coopers yeast yet, it seems somewhat counterproductive to buy commercial beer in order to make my own. :huh:

I've heard good things about splitting liquid yeast but you need a stirplate and starters etc. Turns out, stirplates are shockingly expensive for a little magnet that goes in a circle.

(coopers use their own yeast in the kits AFAIK)
My understanding is that they use Mauri yeasts - which is probably why Mark brought them up in the first place?

Could have both those things arse-backwards, of course.

Slightly off topic, but I been reading the How To Brew book and the part about re-hydrating and proofing yeast to see if it's still alive and kicking. I guess that could be useful for kit yeast that may have been sitting around for ages.

In the book it states that "Lallemand/Danstar does not recommend proofing after rehydration of their yeast because they have optimized their yeast's nutrional reserves for quick starting in the main wort. Proofing expends some of those reserves."

Has anyone tried this with kit yeast and had any issues with it? Or is it fine for the majority of the time?

Not anymore

Not anymore

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My understanding is that they use Mauri yeasts - which is probably why Mark brought them up in the first place?

Could have both those things arse-backwards, of course.

I was always under the impression that coopers used their own yeast in their kits but having said that, I don't know where i heard it so it may well be bollocks.

Just did a Google (which I should have done in the first place). Looks like Mauri produce their ale yeast under contract (i.e. not a commericial Mauri strain) and the lager yeast might be produced by Fermentis (no clue if it is a commercial strain or not though).

Thanks for the correction, Beer4U. Sorry for the misleading info, all.

[EDIT: should clarify, even though it seems obvious to me, that I am talking about their main kit yeats - not production yeasts]

Latest posts

Back