Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.
  1. Brewer's Friend is having an open giveaway, ends soon, so enter now!

Click Here to Enter Now!
    Dismiss Notice

Kit beer for yeast starter?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by MarshallBrew, 9/5/18.

1. MarshallBrew

Posted 9/5/18
    Guys, bit of advice if you will..

Getting back into brewing after a couple years off due to slackness on my behalf.

Looking to kick things off with a simple sparkling ale clone, using coopers yrast.

Obviously need a yeast starter and have a kit brew lying around that I was given and will never use so was wondering if that would work for a yeast starter?

Any advice appreciated!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

2. mashmaniac

Posted 9/5/18
    I'd save the kit for when you need to build a BIG starter, like for when you want to do a lager or a big beer like ris. If you want to grow from coopers bottle yeast, you'll first need a 6er, and drink it, then first step would be around 200ml @1020 then 1L @ 1040 then 2L @ 1040 (off the top of my head for a standard batch size)

MarshallBrew likes this.
  3. golfandbrew

Posted 22/5/18
    It will work since it has fermentables in it. Probably not your best option for a starter though. Kits have hops and specialty grains added to them which may or may not impact your starter yeast. If I were to go through the trouble of collecting yeast from bottles I would try and grow it on media that is as in adulterated as possible. A Kg of DME is not that expensive and will allow you to step up your starter as opposed putting a whole can of LME in all at once. Hope this helps.

Cheers!