Kit And Kilo - Low Og?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strange Dog

Reaction score
Well, last night I finally got my much awaited second brew on the go.

Its a coopers lager tin plus 1kg of dextrose. I took a sample (prior to adding yeast) while it was still hot, let the sample cool down to room temperature and then measured the OG with my new glass hydrometer. The gravity was 1036. Is this too low? How could I have screwed it up already ?

Also, when I was adding water I accidentally added too much hot water so it was 32 degrees by the time the water reached the 23L mark. I had to let the temperature drop to 22 before I added my SAF23 yeast (it took several hours for the temp to drop low enough). Is this going to cause any problems?

well few things. I wouldnt add all dextrose to a brew, I used to do at most 50% dex but prefered 70-80% LDME to 20-30% dex.

For the gravity you could of added to much water or the temp of the hydrometer reading was over 20 deg making it read lower. Maybe there wasnt 1kg dex.

I am not sure what a tin and 1kg dex adds up to but usually they say 1040.

You can let it cool down no worries I have left brews over night in fermenter with glad wrap over them and the rubber to hold it down.

It might have been the "too much water" option. the water snuck up on the 23L mark before I knew what was happening, but it was also frothy so I couldn't read the volume with absolute precision.

I haven't looked into adding anything other than dextrose, though I did see my LHBS did have more expensive bags ($14) that allegedly had extra flavours or something added. I was saving up that experiment for my next brew (#3). Each brew I am going to try something extra until I am one day making some true gormet shit.

When I bought my cooper's micro brew kit,they gave me the OS lager can & brewing sugar. It came out pretty decent for a light pale ale.
It was 5.3%ABV,& def needed some flavor/aroma hops. But pitching yeast at higher temps (like I did too) will create off flavors.
So,when you reach a stable FG,let it sit in primary for 3-5 days more to clean up by products & settle out more. Then bulk prime & bottle.
Let the bottles sit in covered boxes for 3-4 weeks to condition. That'll take care of things & make it taste better & be clearer after 5 days in the fridge to drive the co2 in the head space into solution. Better carbonation that way.

Back