Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey ian, thanks for the spreadsheet - it rocks

one addition i am trying to make is a 'brix' section that will list OG, FG, uncorrected FG and 1 degree before FG (so i can dump into a keg and get at this point and get free c02)

however i am a total mathtard, and can't get anything to work

cheers

kymba

Hi

Thanks. Not sure whether that would work in practice as the yeast needs time to clean up itself after fermentation. But you could try it by putting numbers in the Final Brix column till you match the predicted FG then add one.

To me it would be better to let the brew ferment fully and then do a bulk prime with dextrose on the keg. If you don't want to bulk prime the whole brew just change the ferment volume to 19 litres to get the weight of dextrose that needs to be added to the keg.

cheers

Ian

Is this spreadsheet available on mac? I used to use it when I had a PC and downloaded it on mac but it doesn't seem to work very well. The figures come up but the calculations don't work. I have not read the entire 20 pages but I did a quick search and found no reply.
It would also be handy as an iphone app. Are there any apps that are similar to this very good spreadsheet?

Is this spreadsheet available on mac? I used to use it when I had a PC and downloaded it on mac but it doesn't seem to work very well. The figures come up but the calculations don't work. I have not read the entire 20 pages but I did a quick search and found no reply.
It would also be handy as an iphone app. Are there any apps that are similar to this very good spreadsheet?

I am using version 2.2 on my Mac and it runs OK. Newer version seem to be a bit of a problem though.

Thanks waggastew, I'll give version 2.2 a go.

Still no dice. I should add that I'm trying to open it using "Numbers", mac's dodgy spreadsheet program. It's not my computer and I don't have access to excel atm.
Will keep looking for a solution. If I find one, I'll let you know.

I think open office works on the Mac (?) which you can download for free and it should have no problem opening this excel based file.

Great spreadsheet this, and good how it's been left unprotected so we can all have a play around with it. This means I can add some kits from here in the UK!

:icon_cheers:

I think open office works on the Mac (?) which you can download for free and it should have no problem opening this excel based file.

Great spreadsheet this, and good how it's been left unprotected so we can all have a play around with it. This means I can add some kits from here in the UK!

:icon_cheers:

Thanks and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the macros don't run under Open Office. Yes it is unprotected so you can play around and add ingredients or change hop %AA etc you need to do this on the MAIN worksheet to be used in the calculations.
cheers
Ian

Whilst I said that I would not be doing anything further on the spreadsheet after playing around with my BIAB one I decided to make some changes to the Kit and Extract version.

What I have done is remove all the ingredient lists off the Main worksheet and put them on their own worksheet.

Made the dropdown lists select the ingredients from these worksheets.

Changed the formulas for grains and adjuncts so they now use potential and put in a fermentability factor for the adjuncts.

Whilst there are lots of worksheets displayed you can always hide the ones you don't want displayed, right click on the Tab and select Hide from the Menu. To show right click on the a Tab and select the worksheet you want to unhide.

View attachment Kit___Extract_Beer_Designer_V4.0.xls

cheers

Ian

This is wonderful, many thanks.

Only problem is if i try to add a new recipe or save a recipe then it goes into debug more and says can not find project or library.

still as I mainly keep paper records this is not to much of a problem.

Thanks for the great encouragement guys. I only use Coopers and Morgans kits so they are the only ones listed, however others are listed on the kits worksheet. To add then you need columns A,D and E from the KITS worksheet plus the weight of the Kit putting on the MAIN worksheet in Columns B to E starting row 139. If you add more than 2 you also need to change the formulas in cells C7,C8,G7,G8,H7 and H8 where it has $E$140 in the formula change this to $E$160 or whatever to allow for the number you added.

Also note the worksheets are not protected, so be careful not to delete any formulas. After you make any changes you can protect the Main worksheet.

With the Main worksheet displayed go to the Tools Menu select Protection then Protect Sheet then OK. As I say it is still a work in progress.

cheers

Ian

hey bud,

how the hell do i do this?
confused the hell outta me!
Looks great though.. but i need to put all the kits in - as i dont have any preference atm.

are you able to help?

Further to what i said before, this really is great.

Just used it to do a kit brew with added grains and hops and I hit the target OG perfectly.

B)

hey bud,

how the hell do i do this?
confused the hell outta me!
Looks great though.. but i need to put all the kits in - as i dont have any preference atm.

are you able to help?

Don't know what you want an answer to....

do you want to make some scones, change some sparkplugs, reformat a hard drive???? :D

seriously though, ianh's spreadsheet is piss easy to use assuming your computer program is compatible to run it with. Really awesome work from yet another brewer trying to help everyone make better beer.
Just spend some time playing around with it and you'll work out whatever your trying to work out.

Failing that, my wife has a kick ass scone recipe, i can help with the sparkplugs, but i know **** all about reformatting a hard drive...

Only problem is if i try to add a new recipe or save a recipe then it goes into debug more and says can not find project or library.

This is the same problem I have, and I can't seem to fix it.

Edit: English is no so good.

Hi

If you open the spreadsheet. Hit ALT & F11 should bring up visual basic.

In the visual basic Window go to the Tools Menu and select References I have ticked

Visual Basic for Applications
MS Excel 12.0 Object Library
OLE Automation
MS Office 12.0 Object Library
MS Forms 2.0 Object Library
MS Word 12.0 Object Library

I am using Excel 2007 so if using a different version will get a number other than 12.0, hope that fixes the problem.

cheers

Ian

Back