Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah more hop additions would be good been doing a few IPA and have just started to record my brews on paper as not enough hop places. Also hops like citra and a few others are not in the hop selection so gets confusing lol. But its still good to work it out on style as the hop additions i cant fit are mostly dry hop or last min so no ibu change well minimal anyway

You should always record your brews, how can you try an repeat that fantastic brew if you have no record.

You can increase the number of hops on the spreadsheet. Copy the last hop box (b31 to g31) down say another 2 rows then go to cell K14 and change the formula, replace g31 with g33. You have to enter the weights and times manually as the spin bars don't copy.

The extra hops and weights are not included in the Brew sheet, recipes or as Brew comments, however on the Brew sheet when you make the recipe you could include then either by editing the existing comment associated with the beer name or add an additional comment in the hop column.

Also you can add hops or other ingredients to the spreadsheet. For a hop on the MAIN worksheet go to Column S and row 176 (think 1st blank row) add your hop and the associated %AA in column T. Then it will appear in your hop list. You can add about another 20 hops before you you need to make other changes.

If you or anyone wants extra hops just pm me. I generally use the Craftbrewer list to add new ones.

The next version will take a while as it requires major changes.

cheers

Ian

The next version will take a while as it requires major changes.

Ooooh, you've got us all excited now! A new version!

Time to set up a paypal account for donations to your brewing expenses I reckon.

Any chance of adding Morgans Wheat Malt to the LME menu Ian ?

Ianh, awesome work on this spread sheet mate.

I use this a lot with extract brewing and its magic to formulate recipes with the different hop AA%'s and malt profiles.

Would it be possible to add Coopers ND STANDARD malt as well in the LME drop down list?

The coopers web site says the ND standard is 70 - 120 EBC similar to the light dry malt listed 60 - 140 EBC

Looking forward to the next version.

Cheers Coops :icon_chickcheers:

Moving to partials and will miss using this spreadsheet to construct my recipes. It's been a fantastic tool and helped me a lot to develop my brews. Cheers Ian.
I found this http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe which looks like another handy tool and contains base malts with efficiency calculations etc. I reckon Ian could come up with a pretty good version which incoorporated this into his spreadsheet if he felt so inclined.

Hey guys,

I am getting an error that does not allow me to save my recipes
it tells me that the macro"...module1 saver recipe" is not found.
I am using Office 2008 for Mac. Anyone has a similar error?

Cheers

Hey guys,

Cheers

Saving isn't a problem for me but the Inventory button comes up with a "Compile Error: Variable not defined", and the Make Recipe comes up with "Run time error 13: Type mismatch". :(

Excel 2003 on PC here

Ian - I want to add my thanks and compliments to the many others for your work here.
I've used your spreadsheet a couple of times and its quick, informative and intuitive.
Its pretty apparent its made by a brewer for brewers!
Cheers
Mark

Hey guys,

Cheers

Yeah, the Visual Basic macros aren't supported on the mac.
I just save a new copy of the entire spreadsheet with every recipe.

Great spreadsheet. Makes life heaps easier for clowns like me!

Hey great spreadsheet. Just wondering if its possible to add new recipes? Also is it possible to combine the AABC with the BJCP one?

Thanks, Jacob

Hey great spreadsheet. Just wondering if its possible to add new recipes? Also is it possible to combine the AABC with the BJCP one?

Thanks, Jacob

First welcome to AHB Jacob. Thanks for the comment, yes you can add new recipes, but it would be difficult to combine the AABC and BJCP spreadsheets as there are more classes in the AABC one.

I originally did the spreadsheet before I knew of the AABC guidelines but I now use the AABC one.

cheers

Ian

First welcome to AHB Jacob. Thanks for the comment, yes you can add new recipes, but it would be difficult to combine the AABC and BJCP spreadsheets as there are more classes in the AABC one.

I originally did the spreadsheet before I knew of the AABC guidelines but I now use the AABC one.

cheers

Ian

Thanks, I'm glad i found this site!

As for adding recipes, do i just add them to the beer styles tab with the appropriate units? Will they automatically be added to the list on the main tab or will i have to update the list?

Thanks

EDIT: By recipes i meant beer styles. Sorry!

Thanks, I'm glad i found this site!

As for adding recipes, do i just add them to the beer styles tab with the appropriate units? Will they automatically be added to the list on the main tab or will i have to update the list?

Thanks

EDIT: By recipes i meant beer styles. Sorry!

You can add a style to the spreadsheet. It will take an additional 17 (AABC, assume BJCP till take similar but not looked) without the need to change formulas and ranges.

To add a style you need to add it to the Beer Styles worksheet with all the data associated with that style. This is where the spreadsheet picks up the OG,FG, IBU and Colour data etc from.

You also need to add the style name to the list on the Main worksheet. The list of styles in in Column AC starting at row 101, I am using the AABC version and the last name is in cell AC181, just put the name in cell AC182 (best way is to copy name from Beer Styles worksheet eliminate typos).

cheers

Ian

You can add a style to the spreadsheet. It will take an additional 17 (AABC, assume BJCP till take similar but not looked) without the need to change formulas and ranges.

To add a style you need to add it to the Beer Styles worksheet with all the data associated with that style. This is where the spreadsheet picks up the OG,FG, IBU and Colour data etc from.

You also need to add the style name to the list on the Main worksheet. The list of styles in in Column AC starting at row 101, I am using the AABC version and the last name is in cell AC181, just put the name in cell AC182 (best way is to copy name from Beer Styles worksheet eliminate typos).

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, great spreadsheet. My only problem is the Inventory button comes up with a "Compile Error: Variable not defined", and the Make Recipe comes up with "Run time error 13: Type mismatch". :( I've got excel 2003 on PC and no fiddling seems to fix it.

Hi Ian, great spreadsheet. My only problem is the Inventory button comes up with a "Compile Error: Variable not defined", and the Make Recipe comes up with "Run time error 13: Type mismatch". :( I've got excel 2003 on PC and no fiddling seems to fix it.

Hi drfad

Without knowing more details sorry can't help. What I suggest is you try and run the two macros in question in debug mode (google is your friend) then you can narrow it down to find the variable causing problems and where the type mismatch occurs.

Presume you have downloaded another copy from AHB and tried running that before making any changes.

Ian

No worries, thanks mate. I'll have a bit of a look.

CJ

I just downloaded the spreadsheets and had a bit of a play with them. Although I am still getting my head around the different beer styles and brewing terminology, this looks like a fantastic tool and is something I have been after for ages. I tried plugging in a few of my old recipes and the spreadsheet showed a couple of deficiencies that I had noted to change in future brews (eg Note! more bittering and hop flavour required).

As I once built a database application to run my business (job recording, parts inventory, parts ordering, customer database, invoicing etc) a few years back, I have an insight into the time and effort that goes into a project like this and how that it can become an all consuming entity if you are not careful.
Thanks for such a fantastic tool, and I'm sure my brew efforts will be a lot more consistant in the future
Cheers
Bob

First Thanks Ian this is a great tool''

I have however noticed that the flavour profile treats dex the same as malt. and may be a trap for some...

Or am I not using it right..

Cheers

Latest posts

Back