Kettle Lagging / Insulation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
I'm currently running 2 layers of reflecto bubble wrap stuff cut up from an old windscreen sunshade on my kettle. Looks good, and seems to work well enough, but after 5 brews, wort has got down inside it and it's got mouldy patches inside each sheet, so it needs to go.

I don't want to go down the camping mat route, mostly because I think it ends up looking pretty chatty after a while.

I need something that is impervious to hot wort (or at the very least be edge sealed to make sure nothing can get inside), won't melt, and looks trick. Easy to cut up and work with would be good. Don't mind paying a bit for it, if it works too.

Got any suggestins for me?

Cheers,

FB

what about using the same stuff again, but wrapping silver insulation tape around the top and bottom to make it watertight?

Knit a tea cozy for it.

FEK9CRXFKRSA4BH.MEDIUM.jpg

I'm currently running 2 layers of reflecto bubble wrap stuff cut up from an old windscreen sunshade on my kettle. Looks good, and seems to work well enough, but after 5 brews, wort has got down inside it and it's got mouldy patches inside each sheet, so it needs to go.

I don't want to go down the camping mat route, mostly because I think it ends up looking pretty chatty after a while.

I need something that is impervious to hot wort (or at the very least be edge sealed to make sure nothing can get inside), won't melt, and looks trick. Easy to cut up and work with would be good. Don't mind paying a bit for it, if it works too.

Cheers,

FB

Have a read of this http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1223931557/27

Have a search for insulation using that forums search function, there a a few threads on it. They insulate their boilers.

That HT Armaflex looks the goods but it ain cheap and it has to be bought in bulk. http://www.armacell.com/WWW/armacell/INETA...025774E006B8621

what about using the same stuff again, but wrapping silver insulation tape around the top and bottom to make it watertight?
I think that is going to be the default position until I can find something better given that a cheapo windscreen sunshade is 10 bucks or less!

Have a read of this http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1223931557/27

Have a search for insulation using that forums search function, there a a few threads on it. They insulate their boilers.

That HT Armaflex looks the goods but it ain cheap and it has to be bought in bulk. http://www.armacell.com/WWW/armacell/INETA...025774E006B8621

That HT Armaflex does look the goods. Pity we shut down the liquid manufacturing lines at work, otherwise I'd be looking for some vessels to lag. Obviously if you only want to lag one vessel, you're going to have some offcuts, right? ;)

Might ask the crusty old fitter at work if he has anything stashed away.

for mashing insulation i use the thick foil backed foam from clark rubber with the foil to the outside for 'trick'. i remove it for the boil as i don't think it'd play nice with fire

not sure on its wort imperviousness

Goto any refrigeration supply, and ask for a sheet of armaflex/superlon/lagging same stuff that comes to lag pipe but on a sheet that can be cut and then wrapped around a kettle/urn I use the stuff nearly every day at work :p

Cheers,

FB
Hi fat *******,
You can buy sheets of armaflex from a number of suppliers, you could try Heatcraft or ActrolThis material will absorb water so some form of sealer might be a good idea.I plan on using it to wrap around a 70 litre pot.You can also buy glue to suit, i will probably cut out a round top piece as well and place on top of lid

Do a search on Insuladd
It's a ceramic dust additive that you add to regular paint to make it insulating.
Quite a few wineries have used it on their tanks and a lot of people use in on roofs.
I did my MLT last year and it worked so well that I've just done the HLT and Kettle in the latest rebuild....

I used closed cell foam from Clarks. You can get it in any thickness you want so long as you're prepared to pay for it. Gelgrippped that on then a layer of thick rubber matting over the top (more gelgrip). It's impervious to liquids and you can rest your hand on it and feel it barely warm when the pot is boiling.

I took the base off and the bottom third when i converted the pot to gas and it came off fairly easily and the gelgrip residue peeled off quite well with a scraper and some 50% alchohol.

Going on...

boiler6.jpg

boiler7.jpg

Coming off again..

boiler17.jpg

As it stands now...

boiler21.jpg

Hi fat *******,
You can buy sheets of armaflex from a number of suppliers, you could try Heatcraft or ActrolThis material will absorb water so some form of sealer might be a good idea.I plan on using it to wrap around a 70 litre pot.You can also buy glue to suit, i will probably cut out a round top piece as well and place on top of lid

I checked with Heatcraft today. They have and will sell sheets, but it's bloody expensive! Like 100 bucks for 1 x 1.5m of 13mm stuff. Thats just for the standard stuff, rated to 85c, not the 150c rated HT Armaflex. It sounds really good though.

Looks like I'll be cutting up a sunvisor for the brew this weekend!

Latest posts

Back