Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And lost in talking about Amps and volts?

From what I can tell average new house is 240 Volts and Brewzilla says 220/240 volts?

What is all the 1000/2000/500w about watts?

Thanks

OK, without getting too technical - volts is the electric potential. It's like "pressure" with a fluid. In Australia the standard is 230V and it varies depending on what is happening in the network but can be as high as 250V or as low as 216V.
Amps - think of it as the rate or speed the electricity comes out. Household sockets have wires that can safely take 10 Amps.
Watts - this is the power generated. To calculate the maximum power (W) you multiply the voltage by the amps. eg 230V x 10A = 2300W.
Think of it like water to your house. You have a certain water pressure to the house. You have a pipe going to your kitchen tap. If you turn your tap full on you get a certain force of water. If you wanted more water quicker - you need to install a bigger pipe and tap.
My bathroom heater has two settings both marked 1000W. Turn it on low - one 1000W element comes on, turn it on high and the second 1000W element comes on totalling 2000W.
The Brewzilla has three elements :- 500W, 1000W and 2000W. Turning on all three elements will draw 3500W needing 15 Amps (3500 Watts divided by 230V).
It comes with a 15A plug which won't plug into a normal 10A power point as the vertical earth plug is longer preventing mistakes to be made.
If you want this system and don't already have a 15A socket you have two options. An electrician will need to check your wiring is thick enough and install some 15A sockets. Or you buy a 10A to 15A adapter like this (Arlec power adaptor at Bunnings). If you do the second option, you can't turn on a combination of elements greater than 2400W or the circuit breaker will trip.
I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Hello Jeff. The new RAPT connected digital regulators will be a secondary regulator. Our first priority is to connect these to the RAPT platform and get this working but once this is sorted and we have a better idea on how these can fit into the new more complex profile we can then start talking to Brewfather about integration.

Yes they will use duotight fittings on the input and output of the new RAPT Pressure Regulator and Spunding valve. We will start by just making this in the 8mm (5/16") size.

Having pressure control in a fermentation profile is a totally new concept so it's something that will take some time to really understand how customers want to use this feature.

Thanks for the information, really looking forward to this. A couple more questions.

It sounds like you will be able to control the spunding Valves / regulators remotely, which is great. So they would be primarily used for fermentation and in a kegerator. But is there going to be any sort of gauge that simply reads the pressure too? A common issue for people like me who built a kegerator out of a bunch of duotight fittings is identifying and finding CO2 leaks. Placing some pressure gauges that could alert us to a leak before it drains the entire bottle would be really useful.

Either way, this sounds like a super helpful product and I’ll likely be changing my whole setup for both fermentation and keezer over to this when available. Look forward to more updates!

Thanks for the information, really looking forward to this. A couple more questions.

It sounds like you will be able to control the spunding Valves / regulators remotely, which is great. So they would be primarily used for fermentation and in a kegerator. But is there going to be any sort of gauge that simply reads the pressure too? A common issue for people like me who built a kegerator out of a bunch of duotight fittings is identifying and finding CO2 leaks. Placing some pressure gauges that could alert us to a leak before it drains the entire bottle would be really useful.

Either way, this sounds like a super helpful product and I’ll likely be changing my whole setup for both fermentation and keezer over to this when available. Look forward to more updates!

We have a new device that can work as a digital regulator or digital spunding valve. This is hopefully going to be finished early next year. As you have suggested the device will also be useful for leak detection.

Anybody got the dimensions of the base plates for the 100mm Heavy Duty Castor wheels?

I'm wanting to put them on the base of a brewing cart, but not sure from the photos if they'll fit
Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 9.31.14 pm.png

Ok I like the Kegland mini tap it the best thing but seeing I'm here in the USA I can not get it...I'm building a small KEGERATOR and a water cooler for soda bottles keg so I would like the mini tap...Does any one know when it will come to the USA

They have said it somewhere on here before. More Beer is one of their distributors, but I can't remember the other.

Ok I like the Kegland mini tap it the best thing but seeing I'm here in the USA I can not get it...I'm building a small KEGERATOR and a water cooler for soda bottles keg so I would like the mini tap...Does any one know when it will come to the USA
KegLand has two main distributors in America. www.morebeer.com and www.williamsbrwing.com

It's best to contact these guys directly and they can give you lead times and approximate arrival dates.

Hullo! Have a quick question re the RAPT pill. I've been using it for about 4 brews now and somehow, I do not seem to be hitting my FG ever. Now, I am sure that there are other factors involved in this but my question was about the reading on the pill. I have read in other places that krausen / hops do have an effect on the reading.

In this latest match, I was shooting for a 1.011 FG but it sort of settled at 1.021 (on the Pill). All yeast activity stopped (US-05) and it dropped fairly clear (was doing a pale ale). When I racked to a keg, I took a small sample to taste and decided to take a refractometer reading as well. The reading on the refractomer was 1.021 as well.

Now, I know that taking reading from a fermented wort requires that I put in the SG as well in the calculator. When I did that, the FG showed up to be 1.004! I used the brewfather calculator where I put the OG as 1.051 and the Brix as 5.33 (for 1.021). Am I doing some conversion of conversion and hence getting this wrong? Or is the actual FG 1.004?

Thank you!

Hullo! Have a quick question re the RAPT pill. I've been using it for about 4 brews now and somehow, I do not seem to be hitting my FG ever. Now, I am sure that there are other factors involved in this but my question was about the reading on the pill. I have read in other places that krausen / hops do have an effect on the reading.

In this latest match, I was shooting for a 1.011 FG but it sort of settled at 1.021 (on the Pill). All yeast activity stopped (US-05) and it dropped fairly clear (was doing a pale ale). When I racked to a keg, I took a small sample to taste and decided to take a refractometer reading as well. The reading on the refractomer was 1.021 as well.

Now, I know that taking reading from a fermented wort requires that I put in the SG as well in the calculator. When I did that, the FG showed up to be 1.004! I used the brewfather calculator where I put the OG as 1.051 and the Brix as 5.33 (for 1.021). Am I doing some conversion of conversion and hence getting this wrong? Or is the actual FG 1.004?

Thank you!
I never trust the rapts gravity readings and always use a refractometer (with conversion for alcohol) to confirm

Actual FG will be 1.004, though some calculators do show a lower FG then is real so make sure you use a couple to double check

I never trust the rapts gravity readings and always use a refractometer (with conversion for alcohol) to confirm

Actual FG will be 1.004, though some calculators do show a lower FG then is real so make sure you use a couple to double check
Understood. On another note, would carbonation affect FG? I also have a hydrometer and so wondering if I should triple-check (as it were) using that as well and since I have already begun force carb, I, unfortunately, do not have non-carbonated wort.

Understood. On another note, would carbonation affect FG? I also have a hydrometer and so wondering if I should triple-check (as it were) using that as well and since I have already begun force carb, I, unfortunately, do not have non-carbonated wort.
Carbonation can lead the hydrometer to float higher, you could take a sample and decarbonate it by shaking it in a bottle and releasing the co2

Just had a suggestion for kegland around packaging, I'm guessing a lot of it comes from the manufacturers but is there any way you could try and reduce the amount of plastic packaging? Particularly for click and collect orders.......I picked up a couple of the PET 8L kegs last week and they had about 6ft of bubble wrap, and a plastic posting bag, along with every duotight fitting and carb cap having and individual zip lock bag.

It makes sense to bubble wrap postage orders but for click and collect I would think sticking it all in the cardboard box would be protection enough?

I know the items are food grade so people might want them individually bagged, but they all need washing before use anyway so it seems a bit excessive - just my opinion though 🙂

Not trying to bag you out or anything (pun definitely intended), just wanted to ask the question - keep up the good service!
Thanks

Latest posts

Back