Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have questioned this same product, if it has a CE approval it will most definitely need an AU/NZ certification, Keg Land say it has approval though no evidence has been given, just have to take their word for it.

Well there are a lot of illegal PSU's in Australia then. Including many desktop computers, LED lighting systems for Aquariums and hydroponics (which use PSU's looking exactly the same as the KL ones) etc. etc. I think most of these rely on the CE approval, I've not seen Aus compliance anywhere on them and doubt it's been sought.
With computers I'm talking about the unbranded clones - not the likes of HP etc.

The issue I suppose is KL saying they are approved and not providing evidence of such.

As most of my kitchen appliances are not Aus approved but work well, it is of little concern personally.

The KL thing for me that is a concern is the plus/minus 10% on their hops.
Commercial scales are very accurate - there is no need for this sort of range unless they are actually measuring by volume instead of weight.
I also agree with other posters that it would be good for KK to release some new innovative products to keep themselves in the game as competition is good for the end user.

Last edited:
Well there are a lot of illegal PSU's in Australia then. Including many desktop computers, LED lighting systems for Aquariums and hydroponics (which use PSU's looking exactly the same as the KL ones) etc. etc. I think most of these rely on the CE approval, I've not seen Aus compliance anywhere on them and doubt it's been sought.
With computers I'm talking about the unbranded clones - not the likes of HP etc.

The issue I suppose is KL saying they are approved and not providing evidence of such.

As most of my kitchen appliances are not Aus approved but work well, it is of little concern personally.

The KL thing for me that is a concern is the plus/minus 10% on their hops.
Commercial scales are very accurate - there is no need for this sort of range unless they are actually measuring by volume instead of weight.
I also agree with other posters that it would be good for KK to release some new innovative products to keep themselves in the game as competition is good for the end user.
CE cannot be used at all for Australia that is a given. Issue is if ever there is a problem caused by unapproved gear then the shit hits the fan big time. My thinking is that any business that says something has CE in the Australian market must either be very unaware which one would hope would be the case or else they are just putting it out there in the hope that the gullible accept this as having some sort of value.

I may be more vocal in the KL threads but that's because they are coming up with some really cool products and are really innovating things at a cheap price.

However I regularly shop at Home Make It and Keg King. Do you want me to post everytime I purchase something?

Keg King are not coming up with anything and except for a few items are expensive and the quality is lacking in my opinion.

However they are great for grain and yeast and I go there.

I haven't and won't mention the keg posts I bought that didn't screw on becuase of shitty tolerances because that's petty.

I may be more vocal in the KL threads but that's because they are coming up with some really cool products and are really innovating things at a cheap price.

However I regularly shop at Home Make It and Keg King. Do you want me to post everytime I purchase something?

Keg King are not coming up with anything and except for a few items are expensive and the quality is lacking in my opinion.

However they are great for grain and yeast and I go there.

I haven't and won't mention the keg posts I bought that didn't screw on becuase of shitty tolerances because that's petty.
I cannot find any Keg King thread here so how to know what they are coming up with? You have to go there and I don’t have much time for that. Did I ask you to post when you purchase??? No doubt KL have some really cool products but I had to call them out about the CE rubbish. That other ABG guy really arced up over it so think must have a connection to KL. I still believe its irresponsible to tell people stuff is CE approved and that they should put this together themselves and then hook up to the mains. No qualified engineer would recommend this to consumers.

Last edited:
I cannot find any Keg King thread here so how to know what they are coming up with? You have to go there and I don’t have much time for that. Did I ask you to post when you purchase??? No doubt KL have some really cool products but I had to call them out about the CE rubbish. That other ABG guy really arced up over it so think must have a connection to KL. I still believe its irresponsible to tell people stuff is CE approved and that they should put this together themselves and then hook up to the mains. No qualified engineer would recommend this to consumers.

Might not be a specific keg king thread, but there’s certainly many that post on their behalf. Quite a number with small amounts of posts too...

As a casual browser of this forum, all I want is a review of products from people who have ACTUALLY bought and used them.. not from those aligned to the other side

Might not be a specific keg king thread, but there’s certainly many that post on their behalf. Quite a number with small amounts of posts too...

As a casual browser of this forum, all I want is a review of products from people who have ACTUALLY bought and used them.. not from those aligned to the other side
Just a thought. There are probably only a very small number of posters here with multiple ids. I just came here casually too but did not take long for attacks if one calls out bs. All this stuff needs to be taken with a large grain of salt especially on this thread I suspect. Enough to drive A bird to drink.

Last edited:
Just picked up my order from the new 24/7 pickup area! Looks good and very easy to use!

I was worried about the 2min time, but 2 minutes is longer than you think!

Keep up the good work guys :)

Even if you need to make 2 trips your roller door code will work for 10 minutes from the first time you use it.

So if for some reason you cant get everything out of your locker in 2 minutes you can re enter the container. I think we make it sound like your roller door code expires but it gives you a bit more time than that.

Hey Kegland,

Have you got any customers using the sight glass below with the robobrew 3? Any other parts needed?

https://www.kegland.com.au/polycarbonate-sight-glass-2-piece-set.html

Yes we do see customers use this part for the Robobrew/Brewzilla and you have to use a half inch tee piece and also some nipple and then it makes your tap stick out from the side of the a bit further. I must say i personally feel that it's not worth the cleaning hassle. One of the main selling points is that the Robobrew/BrewZilla units are easy to clean and therefore reduce the length of your brew day. Once you get a sight glass you have one more thing to worry about. They grow mould if they are not dried out. The volume markings are already on the inside of the Robobrew anyway so you can just use these or if you want another method some people just put graduated markings on their mash paddle and this works too and you use the mash paddle as a dip stick.

From one perspective I don't want to talk you out of a sale but at the same time I really don't think it's necessary so I would spend your money on other stuff in my opinion.

Just came across this. What on earth has CE got to do with this? CE has no standing whatsoever in Australia. Sounds like someone trying to do a snow job here. ROHS just means there is no lead in it. Just another irrelevance. From what I can see this is not a product an end user should be putting together unless they have a sparky license and it has the potential to really hurt someone. Kegland this is very iresponsible.

That's a strange statement. So do you think that every company that sells un-wired components are irresponsible? So if you go to RS Components and purchase this item:

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/prod...T6RK92NT95Ezr0FAi9RoCwGQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or if you go to Jaycar and purchase this item:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/powertech-switchmode-power-supply-100-watt-12v/p/MP3175

Are they also irresponsible?

We do specifically state that this product needs to be wired by a Qualified Electrician in the PDF instruction sheet that can be downloaded here:
http://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/24V Power Supply Instructions.pdf

https://www.kegland.com.au/24v-dc-2...60hz-with-anderson-plug-high-amp-current.html

In our perspective there is nothing illegal or irresponsible about selling a power supply that is an unwired kit form as long as we make it know to the customer that this is what they are purchasing which I feel we do.

I think we are getting a bit confused here with "appliances" and "components" as this is how the regulators look at this situation. It's true to say that power supplies that are wired up in a housing with cord attached and are ready to use out of the box are classified as an appliance. These appliances do require approvals such as a laptop power supply.

We have not been successful in finding an 24vDC, 500watt switching power supply suitable for the canning machine that is already wired up in a box (as an appliance) and I am not sure that one even exists for such a high power. The power supply that we sell is a "component" and as it's not defined as an "appliance" it doesn't require approvals like an appliance doesn't. With that said we still want to make sure that the power supplies are of good quality and are still electrically safe. As a result we have made sure that the "components" at a minimum have been approved to CE. CE is an approval recognised in Europe (where we have already started to ship the Cannular Canning Machines to). The requirements are quite stringent and the testing is extensive. CE is not a mandatory requirement in Australia and is not something that regulators here look for. With that said in the absence of approvals that are not required on components in Australia, the CE mark is a reputable badge that clearly shows the product stands up to vigorous electrical testing.

It's a bit like going to Jaycar and purchasing an electrical heating element, a timer, some springs, some capacitors then building yourself a toaster. The toaster needs to be approved to Australian standards if it's sold as a complete toaster. However if you purchase the individual components and make the toaster yourself there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In many instances no applicable Australian standard for components exists.

So in short your options are:
1. Buy the power supply that we sell and you look after the commissioning of the power supply yourself. (NOTE: We have already said on the instruction sheet must be done by a QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN)
2. Use a car battery to power the Cannular canning machine.
3. You can run the machine of a 18V cordless drill battery. For this 5amp one that I have you can seam about 200 cans before needing a re-charge:
http://www.kegland.com.au/media/images/18v Cordless Drill Battery Option from AEG.jpg

So you have multiple options to run this device and if you don't like the idea of option 1 then go with the drill battery. I personally think this option is awesome and it works great and you can save yourself having to purchase a power supply all together. I am pretty sure we have the only canning machine supplier that gives their customers so many different options. Although the canning machine is designed for 24V DC it works great right down to 12v DC.

Wonderful if you make that clear to customers on this thread so its good that people know. As I said even Bunnings advises this. However still does not address the CE thing being stuck on there as that is a complete misdirection. The last thing you want to do is for people to think its got CE so it must be ok when that is not relevant in the slightest. When people buy this stuff then they should factor in getting a sparky to do the wiring up job rather than be tempted to do it themselves which is why I think its not a responsible thing. Surely you would not argue otherwise.

@KegLand-com-au I wasn't confusing component and appliance, rather commenting that if Australian approval for such a component power supply was needed, there would be many suppliers selling such illegal/unapproved devices.
In other words Kegland was following common practice concerning components.
I am glad to see your instructions recommend wiring by a licensed electrician though.

The later mention of my personal use of unapproved appliances was rather to show my lack of concern over approval as it is not an assurance of safety, but rather just that someone has spent the time and money to complete the local approval process.
Of course this is necessary for commercial Australian providers of many electrical appliances, but not componentry.

"CE stands for Conformité Européenne, which is French for "European Conformity." A product in one of the controlled product categories cannot legally be sold in the EU unless it has passed the tests to receive the CE marking.

For a company trying to sell a product, getting a CE marking makes things much easier because it means you can sell the product anywhere in the EU. In the United States, electronic device manufacturers need to meet the same sort of requirements to get FCC approval."

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/question135.htm

"CE stands for Conformité Européenne, which is French for "European Conformity." A product in one of the controlled product categories cannot legally be sold in the EU unless it has passed the tests to receive the CE marking.

For a company trying to sell a product, getting a CE marking makes things much easier because it means you can sell the product anywhere in the EU. In the United States, electronic device manufacturers need to meet the same sort of requirements to get FCC approval."

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/question135.htm
Fully aware of what CE is but it has absolutely nothing to do with selling electrical products in Australia hence my questioning someone putting it up for products sold in this country.

Fully aware of what CE is but it has absolutely nothing to do with selling electrical products in Australia hence my questioning someone putting it up for products sold in this country.
A CE label means that it has been tested to meet the European standards. Which Australian standards are very similar. So if it passes CE standards, it more than likely passes ours. Dry your eyes ALL of you. If you don't like it, don't buy it.... Take your silly little arguments elsewhere, do some real research before spouting off. You're filling my email inbox with crap.

A CE label means that it has been tested to meet the European standards. Which Australian standards are very similar. So if it passes CE standards, it more than likely passes ours. Dry your eyes ALL of you. If you don't like it, don't buy it.... Take your silly little arguments elsewhere, do some real research before spouting off. You're filling my email inbox with crap.
Actually if it has a CE label then it also must carry SAA which someone else already pointed out earlier. There are good reasons for this.

Actually if it has a CE label then it also must carry SAA which someone else already pointed out earlier. There are good reasons for this.

I think we have come to the conclusion it is not illegal to sell this as a component. People make their own control panels and wire up 240v elements etc. for Christ sake.

Also, on the 'CE' sore point @York it might not have an official standing in AUS but think of it this way: If a car has a 5 star NCAP rating in Europe and you import it, are you going to disregard that and consider than it has a zero ANCAP? no, I don't think so

Lets all move on.

Back