Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you're no longer stocking MK3 of the regulators and only stocking MK4?

Was pretty happy with the MK3, and I get the innovation side of things, but don't love paying an extra 25% for thicker steel around the guages...

Looks like they are still selling the Mk3 for gases other than CO2. I assume the PRV is rated differently on those.
Still the Mk4 is under $50 so pretty cheap.

Regret waiting over the weekend to make an order. Last few complaints, I promise:

8mm Duotight Check / Non-Return Valve says In Stock on menu page, Out of Stock on product page.

Fun glitch/website dev:
https://www.kegland.com.au/grain-bill-maker.html
click on the link to Malt by the Kilo, takes you to the Keg King website...
It's not a finished webpage, but it is public.

Any further details on stainless (ss brew bucket type) fermenters you were hoping to release by the end of the year?

I built the KegLand recommended spunding solution based on the Blowtie. Almost identical to this, except longer bit of tubing between the T-piece and the Blowtie.
kl03643_-_blowtie_-_spunding_valve_adjustable_pressure_relief_valve_-_assebly_3_1.jpg

I now decided that I'd like to reconfigure things. I managed to disconnect everything, except for the pressure gauge and the T-piece.

How do you disconnect the push in pressure gauge from the duotight fitting? The usual method of holding the push-in ring down does not seem to work. It seems to be permanently stuck :-( :mad:

I built the KegLand recommended spunding solution based on the Blowtie. Almost identical to this, except longer bit of tubing between the T-piece and the Blowtie.
kl03643_-_blowtie_-_spunding_valve_adjustable_pressure_relief_valve_-_assebly_3_1.jpg

I now decided that I'd like to reconfigure things. I managed to disconnect everything, except for the pressure gauge and the T-piece.

How do you disconnect the push in pressure gauge from the duotight fitting? The usual method of holding the push-in ring down does not seem to work. It seems to be permanently stuck :-( :mad:
If you haven't already how about twisting whilst pushing in then see if it releases.

I've got these items in my cart, how are you thinking of reconfiguring things if you don't mind me asking? I hope you can get that gauge out, no good!

I want the disconnect on the side of the T-piece, gauge at the top and valve at the bottom. That arrangement should fit more neatly on the top of my kegmenter.

I also did an overnight pressure test. The Blowtie was set to 35psi (planning on naturally carbonating a Saison at room temperature) and the entire thing hooked up to a kegmenter at 10psi. 8 hours later the pressure was at 0psi. I need to do some more tests to see what is leaking. Everything is brand new, so everything is suspect. ;-)

8 hours later the pressure was at 0psi
..not promising, I'm looking to do a pressure ferment in a keg before committing to a kegmenter - it's a long story I won't bore you with - so I was looking to use the blowtie arrangement but now I'm having doubts/concerns!

I've done at least eight pressure ferments in modified kegs before deciding to pull the trigger on the kegmenter, blowtie and other stuff. My gheto solution to pressure control was to change the spring in the pressure relief valves of the kegs. I used a slightly stretched poppet spring. On one keg, that gave me about 5psi and on the other just under 10psi. My strategy was to keep the PRV fully open for the first day or two (about two thirds of the expected drop in gravity), then close the PRV and let it carbonate. I made a mistake with one batch and had the PRV closed all the time, fermenting at just under 10psi. That batch ended up with green apple aroma, but that's another story...

Back to the spunding valve + kegmenter. I wrestled with the gauge again this morning, then pressurised the whole thing for another leak test. After 2 hours the pressure has dropped from 30kPa to about 28kPa. A slow leak that would not be an issue under active fermentation, but a problem if you are leaving things for a week or two to carbonate properly. I'll see if I can do a bubble test on some of the connections...

I assume you're no longer stocking MK3 of the regulators and only stocking MK4?

Was pretty happy with the MK3, and I get the innovation side of things, but don't love paying an extra 25% for thicker steel around the guages...

To make this new model we have incurred a significant tooling cost. Once this tooling cost has been amortised we will be able to reduce the price slightly.

Also the QC process is much more involved and every single regulator is bench tested for a few hours for pressure decay and accuracy.

So there are some additional costs in manufacture and also some design and tooling costs which is why the regulators are $9.95 more than our older model.

Looks like they are still selling the Mk3 for gases other than CO2. I assume the PRV is rated differently on those.
Still the Mk4 is under $50 so pretty cheap.

Yeah it is $9.95 more expensive than this MKIII older model.

The dials themselves are high quality dials and the dials alone add about $3 to the price on the MK4 model when compared with the MKIII model. We challenge anyone to find a better quality regulator at the same price.

I need to do some more tests to see what is leaking. Everything is brand new, so everything is suspect. ;-)

I highly reccomend the submerge test. Hook teh spunding valve up to a regulator and then dunk it in a sink full fo water. If there are leaks you will see them.

Just did this in my new keezer gas system and found 3 separate leaks.

Yeah it is $9.95 more expensive than this MKIII older model.

The dials themselves are high quality dials and the dials alone add about $3 to the price on the MK4 model when compared with the MKIII model. We challenge anyone to find a better quality regulator at the same price.
I feel like you guys have been hoisted on your own petard right here
You introduced your original lines at such cheap prices (we shan't discuss the politics of that...), most people don't want to pay a premium when you introduce a new, higher quality product
It's a pity because you are turning out some great new products that I believe are worth the extra coin

Once the stainless teeth grab onto the line they it makes it harder to remove. Also if the line is pulled the stainless teeth in the collar grab even harder. So as peteru has suggested if you twist the line as your remove it this will help.

I should also say that we have two tools that will assist removing the line from these fittings. Historically we used to sell this 5 in 1 tap tool that looks like this. Now we have the new 7 in 1 tool has just been finished and this will make it a lot easier to hold the collar back. The new punch for this tool just got finished.

The image below shows you how to use the tool:
kl07672_-_7_in_1_faucet_tap_spanner_wrench_tool_duotight_remover.jpg

I want the disconnect on the side of the T-piece, gauge at the top and valve at the bottom. That arrangement should fit more neatly on the top of my kegmenter.

I also did an overnight pressure test. The Blowtie was set to 35psi (planning on naturally carbonating a Saison at room temperature) and the entire thing hooked up to a kegmenter at 10psi. 8 hours later the pressure was at 0psi. I need to do some more tests to see what is leaking. Everything is brand new, so everything is suspect. ;-)

Almost certainly you would have a leak somewhere. To my knowledge we have not had a single faulty Blowtie unit and definitely we have found them to be more accurate and reliable than other spunding valves. Let us know how you go as we would be very interested to find out where the leak is coming from.

Latest posts

Back