Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
If the thread is wrong, please redirect me.
I am kind of new to kegging and would teally appreciate a little help with my brand new MK3 from Kegland.
I bought it new from Amazon in the Great Whire North and having a very slow leak around 0.5-1 psi per hour.

Here is the test I perform having a gas line connected to the regulator but not to the keg:
1) With the knob completely removed from the reg, I open the CO2 bottle, so that the HP gauge goes to 750PSI.
2) I trun off the bottle and leave it ovenight. In the morning there is still 750 PSI, so I conclude no leak on the HP side
3) I turn on the bottle and set 50 PSI on the LP side by screwing the knob in.
4) I turn off the bottle and unscrew the know completely out leaving both the HP and LP sides pressurized.
5) In about 24 hours I have about 25 PSI left on the LP gauge.

The problem is that I cannot detect any leaks neither on the gas line nor on the regulator with both soapy water or by submergin the gas line and the pin lock QD into water.
Is that kind of leak something normal or shall I return the reg?

I have found that spraying soapy water on stuff rarely works to find very slow leaks like this. In order to find a very slow leak I find the best was is to completely submerse stuff in water just like you have done. So would would submerse whatever you can in a bucket of water to find the leak. For some stuff that you cant easily submerse like the regulator I would make up a lather of foam similar to shaving cream consistency. Cover the entire regulator guages, and all connections with this foam and you might need to cup your hand around the gauge to hold the foam over the gauge. even a small leak will be able to be found.

Leak checking is a process of elimination but good technique will always enable you to find the leak. Normally is extremly simple to solve once you know where the leak is coming from. I have seen the MK3 guages get damaged and leak before. If the regulator was dropped this could have been the issue as the gauges were quite delicate. on the new MK4 regulator we use much thicker steel on the guages and this has made the guages more resistant to physical damage. With that said if you really want to protect your regulator we would recommend the gauge guard.

The leak will not be in a continuous piece of tubing. It will be on one of the joins, so I would focus your attention on using a bucket of water and foam to find the leak.

I assume the kegs were not connected when you determined the pressure decay was occurring? Can you please confirm.

I have found that spraying soapy water on stuff rarely works to find very slow leaks like this. In order to find a very slow leak I find the best was is to completely submerse stuff in water just like you have done. So would would submerse whatever you can in a bucket of water to find the leak. For some stuff that you cant easily submerse like the regulator I would make up a lather of foam similar to shaving cream consistency. Cover the entire regulator guages, and all connections with this foam and you might need to cup your hand around the gauge to hold the foam over the gauge. even a small leak will be able to be found.

Leak checking is a process of elimination but good technique will always enable you to find the leak. Normally is extremly simple to solve once you know where the leak is coming from. I have seen the MK3 guages get damaged and leak before. If the regulator was dropped this could have been the issue as the gauges were quite delicate. on the new MK4 regulator we use much thicker steel on the guages and this has made the guages more resistant to physical damage. With that said if you really want to protect your regulator we would recommend the gauge guard.

The leak will not be in a continuous piece of tubing. It will be on one of the joins, so I would focus your attention on using a bucket of water and foam to find the leak.

I assume the kegs were not connected when you determined the pressure decay was occurring? Can you please confirm.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. No kegs were not connected.
I was a little hesitant to submerge the whole thing in the bucket, but will keep that in mind for the future.
Indeed, the package box was slightly damaged in the middle where the bonnet touches the box's cover, so presumably there was some sort of impact on the regulator before it came to me. Anyway, I have sent it back today and expecting a replacement in a couple of days.

As of MK4, yes I've seen it and it looks decent, though I could not find it here in Canada yet, at least at a reasonable price, nor could I order it from your website and have it delivered to here.

Thanks for that, I will use a drill in that case.
This amendment will just about cover most electrical goods.

Victoria Government Gazette No. S 517 Tuesday 30 October 2018 By Authority of Victorian Government Printer Electricity Safety Amendment (Electrical Equipment Safety Scheme) Act 2018 PROCLAMATION OF COMMENCEMENT I, Linda Dessau, Governor of Victoria, with the advice of the Executive Council and under section 2 of the Electricity Safety Amendment (Electrical Equipment Safety Scheme) Act 2018, fix 1 April 2019 as the day on which that Act comes into operation. Given under my hand and the seal of Victoria on 30 October 2018 (L.S.) LINDA DESSAU The Honourable Linda Dessau AC Governor By Her Excellency’s Command LILIANA D’AMBROSIO Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change Justice Legislation Amendment (Access to Justice) Act 2018 PROCLAMATION OF COMMENCEMENT I, Linda Dessau, Governor of Victoria, with the advice of the Executive Council and under section 2(2) of the Justice Legislation Amendment (Access to Justice) Act 2018, fix 1 November 2018 as the day on which Division 4 of Part 6 and section 41 of that Act come into operation. Given under my hand and the seal of Victoria on 30 October 2018 (L.S.) LINDA DESSAU The Honourable Linda Dessau AC Governor By Her Excellency’s Command MARTIN PAKULA Attorney-General

The Maltzilla can be used with a drill, a cordless
Thanks for that, I will use a drill in that case.
This amendment will just about cover most electrical goods.

Victoria Government Gazette No. S 517 Tuesday 30 October 2018 By Authority of Victorian Government Printer Electricity Safety Amendment (Electrical Equipment Safety Scheme) Act 2018 PROCLAMATION OF COMMENCEMENT I, Linda Dessau, Governor of Victoria, with the advice of the Executive Council and under section 2 of the Electricity Safety Amendment (Electrical Equipment Safety Scheme) Act 2018, fix 1 April 2019 as the day on which that Act comes into operation. Given under my hand and the seal of Victoria on 30 October 2018 (L.S.) LINDA DESSAU The Honourable Linda Dessau AC Governor By Her Excellency’s Command LILIANA D’AMBROSIO Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change Justice Legislation Amendment (Access to Justice) Act 2018 PROCLAMATION OF COMMENCEMENT I, Linda Dessau, Governor of Victoria, with the advice of the Executive Council and under section 2(2) of the Justice Legislation Amendment (Access to Justice) Act 2018, fix 1 November 2018 as the day on which Division 4 of Part 6 and section 41 of that Act come into operation. Given under my hand and the seal of Victoria on 30 October 2018 (L.S.) LINDA DESSAU The Honourable Linda Dessau AC Governor By Her Excellency’s Command MARTIN PAKULA Attorney-General

Thanks for that. The Gazett covers appliances. As you would be aware the power supply that we sell here https://www.kegland.com.au/24v-dc-2...60hz-with-anderson-plug-high-amp-current.html is an unwired "component". So in order to use this part the user would have to wire up this component themselves. The power supply itself has already been CE approved and is ROHS compliant. As this is an electrical component the regulations on components is quite different to electrical appliances that do require separate electrical approvals. If you would like to purchase this power supply component you woul dneed to wire this up and put it into a housing as described in our instruction manual and it should be installed in a way that makes it compliant.

With regards to the MaltZilla mill itself this is a low voltage DC device just like our Cannular machine. These devices can use the 24v power supply components that we sell but they can also be powered by several other means such as a cordless drill battery for instance or car battery. Both products meet all required electrical safety standards.

I recently purchased a Flow Control Ball Lock Disconnect from Kegland and I was just wondering if anyone knew how/if they come apart for cleaning?
Cheers

I recently purchased a Flow Control Ball Lock Disconnect from Kegland and I was just wondering if anyone knew how/if they come apart for cleaning?
Cheers

You can clean it just by running the Powerful Brewing Wash through it first and let it sit in the disconnect for 2 minutes before rinsing out.

With that said we did not have any cleaning instruction on the website previously and some customers might want to take them apart for cleaning especially if you suspect you have hops stuck in them. So thanks for reminding us to update the website. Please find cleaning instructions here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/flow-control-ball-lock-disconnect-flow-restrictor.html

Please note its quite important you remove part A before part B.

The mill is actually already in stock. We just have not got round to photographing it and putting it up on the website.

I think this sentence might frustrate some readers. It sounds like you just can't be bothered (although we all know that you guys have been flat-chat busy) - and correcting someone on the fact that it is technically in stock is not what they want to hear, regardless of whether it's physically in your warehouse or not. Is it available to sell, sounds like a no, not yet...

I think this sentence might frustrate some readers. It sounds like you just can't be bothered (although we all know that you guys have been flat-chat busy) - and correcting someone on the fact that it is technically in stock is not what they want to hear, regardless of whether it's physically in your warehouse or not. Is it available to sell, sounds like a no, not yet...

Agreed.. Transparency is great and all, but just give a date that gives you enough time to "get around to it"

The oxygen reg for the disposable oxygen bottles now states it won't be available until 6th April!

Any alternatives.. e.g. an adaptor for another reg?

I'm getting impatient I didn't buy any of the first batch soon enough and have a big order on hold in my wish list waiting for only this reg!

I thought the above was all pretty harsh, but I've been trawling their site for a solid month now and all of the "not available until" and "out of stock" notes are starting to really shit me. None of the grain sacks (gladfield base malts to be exact) have been in stock, ever. How hard is it to keep those stocked? Other suppliers like Hoppy Days manage. I feel like they're just left on the site because the prices look great.

I thought the above was all pretty harsh, but I've been trawling their site for a solid month now and all of the "not available until" and "out of stock" notes are starting to really shit me. None of the grain sacks (gladfield base malts to be exact) have been in stock, ever. How hard is it to keep those stocked? Other suppliers like Hoppy Days manage. I feel like they're just left on the site because the prices look great.
They are not really in that supplies business are they?

Sounds like they have a space issue. Do they need a bigger warehouse to be able to keep items available in Stock?

Sounds like they have a space issue. Do they need a bigger warehouse to be able to keep items available in Stock?
Sounds more like spreading themselves a bit thin, always best to take things one step at a time, not everything is going to be a big seller.

Latest posts

Back